Menu

Need simple but effective spelling for 1st, 3rd and 6th graders

eljomom

I'm sure there are threads on this, but my searches aren't taking me where I need to be, so I'll just throw it out there! This is my second year homeschooling (well, trying to anyway), and other than reading, math, and a little writing, we are gimping our way through each day. Last year my 2nd and 5th graders did Spelling Workout. Seemed like a lot of busywork that didn't really teach and reinforce spelling. Plus, I skipped the writing at the end as well.

This year, bought Sequential Spelling on disk, and had 3rd and 6th graders do it together. It just fizzled. It was the first thing to be skipped if short on time, and they haven't done it in months. I looked at Spelling Workout for my 1st grader, but she is still not reading well, and needs someone to sit with her for it...and again, not sure it's really teaching spelling???

Given I have 4 kids I'm schooling, and am pulled many directions, I need something simple and effective. Maybe that means something different for each grade. My 3rd grader is an atrocious speller. Nothing that needs a bunch of prep each day.

Thanks!

Rod and Staff's Spelling by Sound and Structure would fit the bill (not secular). It is entirely open and go. The word lists may seem "light" to some, but the exercises more than make up for it. They make the kids really work with the spelling rules and building words; these books aren't about memorizing a list of words. You can see samples at www.rodandstaffbooks.com (a distributor).

I would keep the first grader in phonics, however, and pick up spelling next year when she's reading better.

I'm sure there are threads on this, but my searches aren't taking me where I need to be, so I'll just throw it out there! This is my second year homeschooling (well, trying to anyway), and other than reading, math, and a little writing, we are gimping our way through each day. Last year my 2nd and 5th graders did Spelling Workout. Seemed like a lot of busywork that didn't really teach and reinforce spelling. Plus, I skipped the writing at the end as well.

This year, bought Sequential Spelling on disk, and had 3rd and 6th graders do it together. It just fizzled. It was the first thing to be skipped if short on time, and they haven't done it in months. I looked at Spelling Workout for my 1st grader, but she is still not reading well, and needs someone to sit with her for it...and again, not sure it's really teaching spelling???

Given I have 4 kids I'm schooling, and am pulled many directions, I need something simple and effective. Maybe that means something different for each grade. My 3rd grader is an atrocious speller. Nothing that needs a bunch of prep each day.

Thanks!

I would suggest All about Spelling, but you aren't going to like the cost for each of the kids. The good news though is they aren't consumable so you don't have to keep buying the levels for each child.

All about spelling would help your 1st grader. When we began my son wasn't reading well and it works better than any of our reading programs by teaching the phonic rules in a way he can understand and retain. It will also fix the spelling for your 3rd grader. Basically you would start all of them in level 1 and the older 2 kids would quickly get through the lower levels, and you will discover where they are actually learning new material, but it is best to start from the beginning to reteach the phonic rules.

• 4 months later...