Menu

Science help!!!!!

musicmommy

Here's the situation.

My 8 yo ds will be 3rd next year and I'm really struggling with science for him. He is a science junkie. We struggle to get him to read any fiction because he'd much rather be reading science books instead. Just for kicks he memorized the periodic table. So, all that to say that he finds elementary science boring. He's one of those crazy kids that seems to remember everything he reads. (sure wish my oldest was that way, it would make life a lot easier for him)

Any suggestions from the marvelous hive? He's grade level for math and reading, just off the charts interested in science. Because I have several private students and conduct a band, I definitely need a curriculum to follow, but I'm at a loss.

Although we do approach things with a Christian worldview, I'm certainly not opposed to secular science materials so go ahead and give me any suggestions.

Thanks!

DS is very interested in science. We somewhat follow the Latin-Centered Curriculum, but I often joke that I need to find a Science-Centered Curriculum. :tongue_smilie:

I have used Apologia and BFSU (Building Foundations in Scientific Understanding) in the past. DS enjoyed both, but wanted more. We started Elemental Science chemistry last year and it was an immediate hit. I added in ES physics late last year and am now attempting to juggle both sciences at once. DS is loving all the science. I like the structure of the ES program and I can easily expand the lessons to DS's specific interests and abilities.

At the beginning of the year we used the MPH workbooks from Singapore Science. DS really liked them but wanted more hands-on activities. I found Aha! Science on http://www.learning.com and he has really enjoyed it! They have interactive science experiments on there that he really enjoys and there are also hands-on activities he can do himself fairly independently. I also love that the "modules" Cover all 3 sciences (Life, Physical, and Earth/Space) and it's only $15/year per student. There is also a large network of school-teachers who share their curriculum and lesson plans on the website that allows you to beef up the material they're really interested in. I thought he was going to zoom through 1 module a week until I realized that I can link to all these other shared curriculum ideas and now I've stretched a 1-week module out to 3 weeks using some additional websites, videos, activities and journaling ideas. It's turned out to be WAY more than I thought I was getting when I bought the subscription!! :D

Oh, and Aha! Science is geared for grades 3-5 but could certainly be tailored for grades 3-6.

HTH! :)

Edited by rootsnwings

I was looking at the Elemental Science website. Which level do you think is most appropriate for a 4th grader who loves science? I'm just not sure if grammar level will be enough for him, but I don't know that logic level will be above him.
Grammar level is the only one currently available.

We are expanding on it, as DS desires. We have a poor library but have been able to find a great number of books and videos to include.

I am not sure what you mean by curriculum, if you want a whole planned out year that probably won't happen with the difference in his reading/writing and science knowledge.

For a cheap way, TOPS are fun and easy, have lots of topics (for all ages) and I would let him help with gathering supplies too.

Creepy Crawlies and the Scientific Method talks about setting up real experiments (and has many, many good starts).

For an expensive way, Supercharged Science is lots of fun!

Maybe a tutor?

I appreciate all the different recommendations. You all gave me some great ideas! I went ahead an ordered the Science Mysteries book because he saw me looking at the preview on Amazon and he really wanted it. (He drools over anything for science.)

I haven't quite figured out for next fall so if you think of anything else, let me know.

He definitely wants some experiment based things. We're fortunate that the local University has a science lending program and will also allow us to use a lab for things that definitely need to be done in a lab.

Thanks!