Menu

curriculum vs workbooks?

Mommamia

I'm wondering about something and hope to communicate it as best I can:tongue_smilie:

In comparing popular curriculum with various workbooks from Barnes and Noble I've noticed there is not a huge difference(if any at all). For example, we had been using Spelling Workout. We purchased Harcourt Flash Kids Spelling Skills workbooks and they seemed to have the same format and similar content. After not loving various grammar curriculums I purchased a Harcourt Language Arts workbook. My dc like it, I like it and it seems to cover all the content they need to know.

Is there something I am not noticing? Do the workbooks(Harcourt, Sylvan, Kumon) not cover enough?

I have a workbooky kid, and workbooks are certainly part of our curriculum in almost every subject. I think the key to any curriculum, workbook or no, is to expect that it's not going to be complete and be willing to supplement as needed. For example, we're using Evan Moor Daily Science right now-my DD likes the "Read the top of the page, do the bottom of the page" format. But that doesn't mean we aren't also doing hands on stuff and writing about it.

Maybe I didn't explain myself well enough. I was worried about that. For some of the expensive/complicated curriculums there seem to be a cheaper, easier to teach workbooks out there. Workbook vs workbook. Does that make sense? We are using Rod and Staff English, but the Harcourt Language Arts book seems to teach the same things in a more understandable way. I also love their Writing Skills book. We supplement, but for the base work I'm finding these workbooks to be a great surprise.

Sommer-Very cool! So you have mostly used "The Complete book of..." or similar? What age did you switch to TT?