Menu

I'm loving our writing tutor!

Why didn't I think about farming this out a looooong time ago? :confused:It would have saved endless writing curriculum expenditures! Plus, my ds is doing so well for her and actually trying to write well thought out paragraphs, essays, etc. Yay! It's the very best $ I've ever spent.

Oh, and I am SO HAPPY to put Classical Writing on the shelf...ugh! I can see where it's going, I can, but why take such a long, complicated, painful route to get there when a good one-on-one writing tutor will get you there lickity-split!

Yep, lovin' our writing tutor. :D

You know, I just did the exact same thing this month. After going through 3 years of IEW and 3 levels of MCT's writing curriculum, I was so ready to have an expert do the job for me. I was at a point where I was at a loss of how to continue.

We only started last week so apparently don't know the results yet, but it's a huge burden off my shoulders (for now)!

Yes, it's a wonderful burden lifter for sure! :D I don't know what writing tutors are supposed to cost, but ours charges $20 per hour. She only meets with him for about 1/2 an hour bi-weekly though...so, so far it's been fairly inexpensive.

Today she went over his last essay assignment with him, helped him choose three new essays, brainstormed with him his three paragraph points on one of them, leaving the other two essays for him to tackle, instructed him, encouraged him, etc. It was $ well spent!

I don't know about Melissa, but I found the tutor through word of mouth. My sister and her family live in the top school district in our area (their high school is one of the top 100 in the US), and most of my niece's classmates participate in one or more after-school tutoring sessions. Since writing is typically not taught in school, lots of kids go to writing classes after school. This tutor was recommended by the mother of my niece's classmate for my nephew so my sister try him out. She then recommended him to me.

If you have a reputable and competitive school in your area, ask some parents who have children in that school where they send their kids for tutoring. They are usually able to recommend something.

Our tutor is a currently out of work high school teacher who also happens to be a family member. I approached her and asked if she would be interested in helping us with writing and she totally agreed. Was one of the happiest days of my life! :lol: She also happens to be highly qualified which makes it a win win. I don't know how long she will be able to tutor my ds, but I'm going to take advantage of her expertise for as long as I can.

I would start by asking around. If you know anyone who works in your school district they might know of an English/Lit/Journalism teacher looking for extra money. Here in our area of California there are a lot of out of work teachers. It would probably be hard to find a classically taught writing teacher though...so if you're only interested in teaching along the progym you'll have a much harder time locating someone. I, personally, was mainly looking for outside accountability for my ds (and myself).

My senior in high school daughter is working with a writing/literature tutor (also doing grammar and vocab w/roots) and having an excellent year!!!!! It's someone we knew for a few years, but she lives in another state, so my dd gets together on skype with her. They meet 60-90 minutes a day, 5 days per week, and I would say that she is getting AT LEAST two years worth of complete English instruction. I could not be more thrilled. This young woman was home schooled herself, and, in her mid 20s, is doing a few different part-time jobs. She uses a combination of IEW, Stobaugh, English from the Roots Up, and maybe other things as well, and she is doing a wonderful job.

Dd is also doing one-year world history 4 days a week via skype with a different friend in a different state, using a secular textbook, and we are totally thrilled with this arrangement as well. The tutor is on maternity leave this entire school year from full time high school history teaching. Great timing! This is the only year our history tutor will be available.

And we got a math tutor for her too!!! Also someone we know. They meet in person 3 days a week for 45 minutes. That is going great too. When my youngest ds comes up, I'm going to keep our math tutor in mind for him.

I was not planning to have dd home this year, but last summer she asked if she could home school this year. She las learning disabilities, and I bounced her around a few different schools lately trying to find a fit, but there was no fit to be found. I was happy to have her back home but didn't feel I could do it all (understatement!). Had to immediately get going on making arrangements for these tutors. They are all very well qualified and trained in their fields. We are very blessed to have them. Also blessed to be able to afford this, as we could never have done this without some money left to us by my parents. I hate being without parents, but they are still blessing us even after they're gone -- they'd be happy to know that.:001_wub:

Also blessed to be able to afford this, as we could never have done this without some money left to us by my parents. I hate being without parents, but they are still blessing us even after they're gone -- they'd be happy to know that.:001_wub:

I can think of no better way to honor your parents!