Menu

Teaching French

mommy4ever

I have been struggling with this all year. We just started again. It's going well. I started looking through the resources I had... and found that I had and a couple that are coming to be enough to do a really good job.

These suggestions wouldn't work for some one who isn't french speaking as a parent, but for a french speaking. Some of this could carry over to other languages.

With any language, you start with certain basics. Alphabet, numbers, various basic words.

This can be done by making little booklets.

I have a booklet that has a coloring picture of a witch(done at Hallowe'en).

I'll translate for simplicity.

Page 1: The witch

Page 2: This is a witch.

Page 3: This is a witch. She has a black hat.

Page 4:

This is a witch. She has a black hat. She has green eyes.

Page 5: This is a witch. She has a black hat. She has green eyes. She has a yellow broom.

etc. It's 23 pages. On each page, I had dd color what was described. So the last page has a fully colored witch. This could be used with any coloring page that has enough detail to introduce more concepts.

Reading, just like for LA, read read read! I am looking for free e-books in french there HAS to be some out there, in the mean time, the library is good. We do have a french bookstore locally too.

Build vocabulary flash cards. There's enough google images to create ANY amount of vocabulary.

Phonogram flash cards. I have oodles of these. From the blends of o: o, au, aux, eaux. To simpler bi, ci, di, fi, gi, etc.

I have purchased some resources. I have the Junior Easy French, I'm not too thrilled with it, but it adds coloring pages, phonograms, cd. I have a couple higher levels for my older kids, as well, I'll not be purchasing for them again, I don't care for it.

I have a French song CD that dd teacher in K made for them, it is all the kids singing and he includes all the lyrics(even sheet music for his original compositions). I try to get CD's and DVD from the library as well.

One resource I've never seen mentioned here is L'envolee. This is created in Ontario Canada. I have the complete set for grade 1/2 and 4/5, it was $60. It has Vocabulary(activities) , oral activities, grammar, Vocabulary(pictorial dictionary reference, almost), reading, and writing. These are reproducible, so you can copy as much as you like for the kids. There are no lesson plans, so you need to look ahead to see what pages match from other areas. But it isn't hard. They do include answer keys as well. There are no cd's with this. The site does have other resources, but I can't speak about those, we haven't used them.

Also, consider looking to see if the DVD favorites you have can be viewed in French! They already know the story, so it immerses them in the language too.

There truly isn't alot out there but I have been putting it together, and dd7 is close to being able to carrying a basic conversation in french, by playing with things. She loves the booklets I create as I can totally tailor it to her interests.

Reading, just like for LA, read read read! I am looking for free e-books in french there HAS to be some out there, in the mean time, the library is good. We do have a french bookstore locally too.

What about free audio books ....??? Cleo, on the bilingual board, pointed us to these ..... http://www.litteratureaudio.com/notre-bibliotheque-de-livres-audio-gratuits

Many of them are higher level books but there are a few fairy tales and some Aesop's fables that might work.

We also like http://www.bayardjeunesse.ca/magazines/ and Amazon Canada carries many french books.

Thanks for all the tips! :001_smile:

This can be done by making little booklets.

I have a booklet that has a coloring picture of a witch(done at Hallowe'en).

I'll translate for simplicity.

Page 1: The witch

Page 2: This is a witch.

Page 3: This is a witch. She has a black hat.

Page 4:

This is a witch. She has a black hat. She has green eyes.

Page 5: This is a witch. She has a black hat. She has green eyes. She has a yellow broom.

etc. It's 23 pages. On each page, I had dd color what was described. So the last page has a fully colored witch. This could be used with any coloring page that has enough detail to introduce more concepts.

---

Build vocabulary flash cards. There's enough google images to create ANY amount of vocabulary.

Phonogram flash cards. I have oodles of these. From the blends of o: o, au, aux, eaux. To simpler bi, ci, di, fi, gi, etc.

Wow, these materials sound excellent. Are they electronic? I would love copies of what you've made. I'd be happy to contribute a donation. :)

The other suggestions are great too. And it's always nice to find another curriculum.

Thank you!