Menu

Singapore Math question......

Allison TX

Would this be a good choice for a child who struggles to understand math concepts? We are currently using Horizons 2. I bought BJU math and couldn't get past the huge TM and all the extras! But I'm thinking we need to make a change. He is doing okay, because he knows the patterns to the Horizons worksheets and the problems, but he is not grasping all the concepts. Singapore has always scared me a little, not following typical scope and sequence, and no TM, but I'm considering it for this ds. Any advice would be appreciated. Oh, and I had him do the placement test and he scored in 1 B, which I thought was kinda low considering he's half way through Horizons 2.

And I think it's really important to get it. It's a homeschooliong edition. For 1a and 1b it's produced by the Rosenbaum foundation (or it used to be) and for 2 through 6 by Jennifer Hoerst called the Home Instructor's guide. Here's a link to the page showing the materials available. We use Primary Mathematics, text book, work book, and Home Instructor's Guide.

http://www.singaporemath.com/Homeschool_s/60.htm

They are vital, because without them, you don't have any of the concepts, really. They need to be taught-- 3+4 on the page looks the same on any worksheet, whether by Singnapore or Horizons. I have to say I'm not familiar with the other programs. We started with Singapore from the get-go. If we needed more practice I ran sheets off the web. (Now that we're in level 3, I use the materials from the company.)

It has done absolute wonders for my son who was struggling when I brought him home at the end of grade One. For manipulatives, I used kidney beans and egg cartons, poker chips and a big piece of paper divided into 100's, 10's and 1's. We played lots of math games (Peggy Kaye's books are great as are Box Cars and One eyed Jacks)

It's good that your son tested in 1B actually: that gives you a chance to introduce the concepts early--it'd be much harder to jump into it at, say, level 2B.

Good luck. You won't regret it.

I think I'd try to figure out what the child's learning style *is*, or what about the current math program *isn't* working, before jumping to another math program. Sometimes, switching to a supplement for a break or a different way of seeing the math can be all it takes.

Questions to consider:

- Does the child do better with more "hands-on"?

(Then you may need to add manipulatives, or move to a manipulative-based math.)

- Is the child struggling with just the occasional topic?

(That's normal; maybe switch to a supplement temporarily to let that topic "simmer" in the back of his/her mind, or see it from a different point-of-view.)

- Is the math moving too fast for the child?

(The math part of the brain matures at different rates for different children, and maybe the child isn't really brain-wise ready for this level of math; perhaps slow down, back up, or supplement the current program.)

- Is the child overall "not connecting" with the math?

(If overall, or for more than one of the above reasons the child isn't connecting with Horizons, then it's time to consider switching programs.)

Cathy Duffy's "100 Top Picks For Homeschool Curriculum: Choosing The Right Curriculum And Approach For Your Child's Learning Style" can be helpful in matching up curriculum to your child's way of taking in and processing information.

All that said, we've used Singapore as both a "spine" (main) math (for my older math-minded, abstract/logical thinker son) and as a supplement (additional) math program (for my younger math-struggler, visual-spatial learner who needs visuals/hands-on to make abstract math topics like math facts, long division and algebra concrete).

Singapore is very good at encouraging "math thinking", especially starting in the 3A/B and 4A/B levels where you get into the word problems. Singapore is a bit like Horizons in that it has simple, uncluttered pages, with not too many problems per page (very helpful for the child who is easily overwhelmed). Also, neither has too much in the way of manipulatives. Singapore is a mastery program (thoroughly covers a math topic before moving on; also expects child to have mastered that topic, as it will come into play in the next math topic). It does have some, but not a lot, of review of previous math concepts. It moves along at a brisk pace -- too fast for some students. So if you switch to Singapore, you may likely need a supplement from time to time. Or, you could easily "plug in" Singapore as a supplement to Horizons, or whatever math program you use as a spine.

The sequence of Singapore isn't really any different from most American math program sequences. Also, the "U.S." editions of Singapore are what are primarily sold/used in the U.S., so any differences in what money looks like or any other minor differences between the countries aren't a problem anymore.

Hope that helps! Warmly, Lori D.

I would have no worries about using Singapore. Our son was really struggling when we began and it took us a long time to realise he was actually very good at maths.

Don't worry about starting him at what appears to be a low level. Singapore students are said to be about one year ahead of the average American/European student. It will really give him the opportunity to master all the fundamentals in a concrete way. Use manipulatives alongside the course (especially good in my experience are unit cubes sold by Learning Resources).

You might even find your non-mathy child is actually quite a mathematician after all.

Take your time and don't rush the early stages, in our experience, it really does pay off in the end.

We use MUS, which I love, and supplement with Singapore's CWP. I used Cathy Duffy's book way back when to help me decide which math program to use.

I have a degree in math and attempted to supplement with full-blown Singapore in 2nd grade. It was a disaster. Partially, ds knew how to add/subtract one way and wasn't interested in learning a different way (aka Singapore way). Partially, it was so different from the way I was taught math that I didn't feel that I did a very good job of it.

If you are interested in MUS, here is a thread which I give my detailed review:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=939

Good luck!