Menu

AAS?

blondeviolin

About what level do you start this? It's a program I want to look into using, but don't know exactly when a good time to implement it is. My daughter will be kindy this fall, but I anticipate she'll be finishing Funnix Beginning Reading by the summer. Does reading ability have any bearing on when you begin? Can you do it concurrently with some like Funnix?

I'm pretty new to AAS and I am sure some of the 'veteran' AAS moms will pipe in shortly, but sounds to me like your daughter is a prime candidate to start since she is learning to read and doing well. AAS is labeled a spelling program, but it really teaches reading, too, so it should be a great fit! From what I can tell, it is ideal to start at the beginning with level 1 when children are first learning to read; not that it can't be used/isn't helpful for older children, too, but best to start at the beginning and work through. HTH. :001_smile:

You can use it while they are learning to read, but just keep it light and fun at that stage. Some kids spend their whole kindy year just learning the sounds of the phonograms and maybe some basic blending and segmenting skills, which would be just a few of the early steps in AAS 1. Others are ready to take off & could go faster. Sometimes kids will need a break and just aren't quite ready to learn something yet--so don't be afraid to put up reading or AAS if that happens, and pull it out a month or two later.

Here is an article from the AAS site on readiness. HTH some! Merry :-)

We started at age 4, about the same time we started learning to read. The first level is very simple, so that's the perfect time to start AAS. It will be great reinforcement. I've documented how we've been using it in my blog, feel free to take a look at the early levels.