Menu

I could really use a little help with these science topics!

Thanks in advance if you have any input!

My son was very frustrated that the ACT science passages he encountered on the real test were very chemistry/physics focused rather than biology/astronomy/geology etc. He came home hoping to figure out what he could do to improve on those types of questions for the next time around. I am embarrassed to say, I'm not quite sure what he is asking about because my science background isn't too great. He took it as a 7th grader so he doesn't even really know the terminology and I'm coming up empty trying to google these things.

If anyone who has a better grasp on science than I do, which would be about 99% of you, could give me some key words to search or ideas on what these might be I'd be so appreciative. I'm really proud that he is taking the initiative to figure these out after the fact--and its frustrating to look at him like :001_huh: every time he asks!

Here is what he's asking:

One question dealt with the physics of a chain--googling 'physics and chain' isn't getting me anything useful.

Another was about a group of students who were doing a chemistry experiment in which substances were added to a solution that caused them to change color and the teacher wanted them to explain the color changes they observed. What kind of experiment would involve chemistry and adding things that change color? All I could come up with was PH but he says that isn't ringing a bell.

Thanks again! I know this is pretty vague but he just doesn't have enough science under his belt to be specific enough to know exactly what it is he is looking for. He is determined to have an 'aha!' moment with these passages and has been asking for weeks so thanks so much for your help!

my impression was that scientific knowledge wasn't being tested so much as the ability to make conclusions given data. Most questions seemed to give a set of data or describe an experiment and its results and ask the student to draw conclusions. Am I way off?

I agree Amy that was my impression as well, but as we've gone through practice tests and now one real test I'm thinking it depends on the student. This particular son has a hard time seeing the 'forest for the trees' and when he comes upon a passage with unfamiliar terms he psychs himself out--especially anything with chemistry because he has dyslexia and says it is preventing him from keeping track of the elements.

On his actual ACT the Conflicting Viewpoints passage was on chemistry--and since that one counts for 7 points, he felt really frustrated about it. That section is usually his strongest area--but the intimidation with the chemistry terms really threw him.

I think in theory it is supposed to test their ability to draw conclusions from data but IRL if the student has taken chemistry or physics they're going to have a definite advantage on those passages. That has just been our experience, but he came home very determined to better understand those particular problems thinking he'd have an advantage in the future if something similar came along on the next test.

I'd love to hear other thoughts on this--I'm immersed in ACT world right now and would love to discuss!!!

I think in theory it is supposed to test their ability to draw conclusions from data but IRL if the student has taken chemistry or physics they're going to have a definite advantage on those passages. That has just been our experience, but he came home very determined to better understand those particular problems thinking he'd have an advantage in the future if something similar came along on the next test.

I'd love to hear other thoughts on this--I'm immersed in ACT world right now and would love to discuss!!!

The bolded part is what I've been wondering about for my dd. I'm glad to hear you say that, because I'm trying to decide when to have her take the test. She won't have had chem until probably spring of her junior year, and physics spring of her senior year (hoping to do them at CC).

I, too would like to hear more on this. :)

The bolded part is what I've been wondering about for my dd. I'm glad to hear you say that, because I'm trying to decide when to have her take the test. She won't have had chem until probably spring of her junior year, and physics spring of her senior year (hoping to do them at CC).

I, too would like to hear more on this. :)

I'd like to hear from some more experienced high school moms on this, but what I'm thinking is that you might not even need a full year of chem or physics--just exposure to the basics to make a difference on those passages. I think in our case, it was as much intimidation because it was unfamiliar and seemed too complex than it was not understanding the exact topic.

Again, I'm not the most experienced on this bc I've only had one kid take it one time, but I did do quite a bit of prep and research on it and ds made a pretty good score on the science section.

We did the Princeton ACT prep books with dd. They helped but she was very frustrated with the science section because she really didn't feel that it tested any specific scientific knowledge. She felt that it was more reading comprehension and logic and not necessarily science specific though she did say that knowledge of chemistry and physics vocabulary

was helpful. She really didn't feel that it was actually testing true scientific knowledge as is the case with the AP science exams. She had taken the AP chem practice test online before the ACT and nearly aced it.

I suspect that possibly some formal logic training might help with success in this section.

Faith