Menu

PR or FLL,WWE,AAS for 1st grade?

Lisa R

DD (5) is currently using RME for phonics and will finish the book in May. She's reading wonderfully!

I'm wondering what to do for 1st grade? If she's already reading well, will PR feel likes she's going backwards?

Opinions, please!

Thanks!

I used to use FLL, WWE, and AAS. Now I've got almost all of my school-aged children using PR. I will be switching my oldest in a few weeks. So, even though my older two can already read well, I do not feel PR is taking a step back. We moved quickly through things they already know. I find that PR streamlines LA for us. We are spending less time on LA than we were before, but they are getting at least as much info and practice as they were before. :)

I wanted dd to be reading well before we started PR. Now the readers are below her reading level, but she'll still have fun illustrating the stories. Well, the first page or two anyway. After that she'll probably get bored. lol I had tried teaching reading with SWR, and while it helped lay a good foundation, she just wasn't getting it that way. SWR is similar to PR, so I imagine it would've been the same with PR. Of course, maybe all she really needed was more time. Who knows? Anyway, it doesn't feel like going backwards, since it mainly feels like a spelling program in level 1.

For DS I used WWE, FLL and SW and sometimes ETC. It was great, and actually I really, really like the WWE approach...HOWEVER...I wish I had known about AAS then, because I think it would have saved us a lot of pain and suffering.

HOWEVER...I have decided to go with PR for my daughter, because I love the streamlined approach and the explanations of language, as well as the fact that this is designed to prepare her for Latin, further on down the road.

The first 4 weeks of PR will review the phonograms. If she zooms through those, then just keep moving forward. She will also learn the markings in the initial spelling lists, so from week 5 on, she'll be spelling, marking, and learning the Rule Tunes. This won't be a step back b/c it will be new.

Until this year, all of my dc started PR from different places and stages. Coming at your dds age, you'll soon see it won't be a step back, but instead reinforcement of what she already knows and adding some new things, too. Before you know it, she'll be dictating sentences and singing songs to explain the rules of spelling. It will be a great next step.