Menu

Preparing for Montessori School

Bayt ul-Hikmah

Hello all,

I'm wondering if any of you have any advice for me as I prepare for a big change. Next year, I'm going back to school to get my M.Ed and AMI Certification in Elementary Montessori Education. As a result, my kids will be going to a nearby Montessori school (they'll be in 2nd and K). I have loved homeschooling, but as a single homeschooling mom, it's no longer financially possible for me right now.

There have been other threads about preparing for a switch to public school, but Montessori is so, so different. I'm conflicted about what I should be emphasizing in our remaining homeschooling days, mostly for my now 1st grader. The academics at their new school are very strong, so I'm not worried about them falling through any cracks once they're there. I'm just not sure if I should focus primarily on the 3 Rs to get ds's basic skills very strong, and then give both the boys plenty of down time to play, explore, swim, ice skate, go on field trips, etc -- next year will be busy! Or, should I should also be stressing all the additional things we do (and love) like science, history, art, etc. We really do love these subjects, but doing it all makes our days quite full, and we're not getting out as much as we could otherwise. To complicate matters a bit more, there are other subjects that are stressed in Montessori schools that my boys haven't had any meaningful exposure to (geography, for one), so I don't know if I should work on this to "catch them up" or not.

I'm so excited for next year, and the boys are, too. However, I do want to make the most of this precious time that we have at home together, and I don't know how best to do that.

Thanks for any help!

Congratulations on your plans -- how exciting. :) That is the exact training I'd love to have, and the same training center too (assuming you're staying local). I hope you'll come back and share some of your wisdom, for those of us who are trying to integrate Montessori and classical education.

Apart from the continent names and colors, and the bead bar colors, I can't think of anything offhand that would be useful for them to know beforehand. Maybe someone else has experience at the elementary level. I'm sure there will be some adjustment in the beginning, especially for the 2nd grader, but I bet they'll do fine.

Edited by Eleanor

Thinking about it some more...

Montessori is very strong in science and geography, and they have their own way of teaching those subjects. I'd say that's a reason not to spend much time on them yourself. Let the school do it their way. As I understand it, they use a spiral method where they present similar topics in each 3-year cycle, just in greater depth each time. Even if your children missed the presentations at the primary level, I'll bet they'll catch up quickly and be on to the more advanced work. (It's not as if the children who've graduated from primary are a bunch of rocket scientists. My 7 year old was in Montessori primary last year, so I speak from experience. ;) What they teach in the classroom is impressive compared to other programs, but still quite basic. She also hasn't retained all of it, and I'm sure she's not the only one.)

For the 3 R's, it seems as if you'd be fine just doing short lessons in the basics, unless you think your older son is behind in some particular area -- such as phonics or handwriting -- that could interfere with his other work.

In your position, I think I'd try to relax and emphasize the things that might be harder to get around to next year, like field trips, sports, music, art activities, SOTW (done in a low-pressure way), and Arabic. That sounds like a fun semester that would make lots of great memories.

Best wishes to you. :)

Thank you so much for your help. I'm going to have to work on our schedule to have a good balance between strong fundamentals and a hefty dose of experiences that will be harder with a more traditional school schedule. Thank goodness Montessori school (at least this one) doesn't give homework -- I'm hoping we'll still be able to have a little fun next year. :D

My eldest went to Montessori elementary for 3 years--1st grade (he learned to read there), and 2 rounds of 3rd grade (after a kinda yucky year in 2nd grade ps).

Remember, Montessori will pull in works from another level if needed--so you will find puzzle maps used by some in elementary, if they didn't master them in primary (preschool/K). They'll spiral some other things, like a pp said.

Really, the whole curriculum from 1-3 and even higher and sometimes lower, is on the shelves, available for anyone who is ready, so your child can go at his own pace. If he needs to go back to some typically primary works, he'll probably breeze thru them quickly, but he may just be able to go right into the elementary works. He won't get as much sequential history (like Story of the World), he'll get more works about the history of specific parts of culture, like The History of Writing, or that sort of thing. There's a ton of nomenclature in science, too--but it's akin to the classical memorization tasks--so really appropriate, developmentally.

Anyway, I'd say he'll be fine. I'd use this time to make sure he can read well, and maybe do some historical fiction, and just build your family relationships.