Menu

Where to start with TOG next year?

I've decided to return to TOG for high school. This is what DS has done recently.

6th: 1 semester of AO; 1 semester TOG Year 3 Units 3&4

7th: TOG Year 4

8th: 1 semester SL Core Alt 7; 1 semester world geography (current study)

DS got almost up to the fall of the Roman Empire before we switched to geography.

I'm trying to decide where to start for next year. I was going to just start with Year 2, but am wondering if it would be beneficial to start with Unit 4 of Year 1. I don't feel like we got much out of Roman Empire study in SL. We will not be doing TOG literature next year, if that matters.

This is what I'm thinking of for DS's high school years.

9th: TOG Year 2

10th: TOG Year 3

11th: TOG Year 4

12th: TOG Year 1 or a year of Government and Economics (leaning towards the latter)

If I add Unit 4 of Year 1, I'll have to combine/skip weeks down the road. Is studying the Roman Empire before hitting the Middle Ages worth that?

You can always just do a bit of summer reading to review the highlights of the Roman Empire. The y2 introduction gives summer reading suggestions for those who have not completed TOG y1. There is review built into the first week or two of any year plan as well.

Since you'll do the entire y1 in 12th grade, I don't see an overwhelming need to do the whole unit 4 now.

But, you really can't go wrong either way -- you're in charge!

I agree with the others. If your ds just reads an overview of the Roman Empire this summer he'll be in good shape for Yr 2.

I think you'll find that you really will want him to study Government and Economics as a senior after year 4.

FWIW - My 11th grader is doing year 4, and I am seeing that the content is an excellent bridge into a year of Government and Economics for 12th grade. Year 4 has caused him to take notice of the world and ask questions about the modern world. He's watching the news, and reading internet news with an interest that was not there before.

Hi Rhonda,

See if you can find some of the Teaching Company Lectures on Late Antiquity - Early Middle Ages (Off the top of my head, I think the prof's first name if Phillip and I think he teaches at William and Mary. Last name begins with a D, I think). We found this lecturer to be engaging and informative. When we were jamming through the late Roman Empire, we found this very helpful!

Blessings,

April

Hi Rhonda,

See if you can find some of the Teaching Company Lectures on Late Antiquity - Early Middle Ages (Off the top of my head, I think the prof's first name if Phillip and I think he teaches at William and Mary. Last name begins with a D, I think). We found this lecturer to be engaging and informative. When we were jamming through the late Roman Empire, we found this very helpful!

Blessings,

April

My library has Early Middle Ages by Philip Daileader. Is that it? Would that be adequate, or should I consider searching out the Late Antiquity set as well? I don't see a series called Late Antiquity by Daileader on their website.

Thanks for the recommendation!