Menu

RightStart math A ... will this work?

blondeviolin

This is my first post here! :yay:

My oldest, Abby, will be 5 at the end of May. My son, Emmett, will be 4 in October. In their play, Abby has been naturally fascinated with letters (knew their names and sounds before 3, tried sounding out but hadn't developed phonemic awareness, etc). Emmett, however, has been very aware of numbers (he loves shapes, patterns, numbers, counting, etc). Abby gives up very easily on things if it's "too hard". I want her to enjoy math and numbers and enjoy learning. I'm hoping to do RS A so that Abby can enjoy it and have a confidence builder of sorts. I'm also hoping that if Emmett wants to hop in and do some lessons/games, that they won't be super difficult for him...at least in the beginning.

Even if my son doesn't sit in on math, should I still start with A? Abby will be "kindy" this fall.

I think that should work just fine too. I started my 5 yr old son this fall in RS A but ended up bumping him up to B because he could already do basic addition and had pretty good numerical awareness if that's a real term. :) We certainly could have stayed with A particularly if his younger brother was interested but he's still 3. For your two it sounds perfect. Have fun!

I have 4 kids who are developmentally within a year of each other. I tried doing individual lessons with everybody for phonics & math, and it was a big disaster. It was SO time-consuming, and the one who was with me was happy but the others (who are normally very good kids!) always got into trouble or desperately needed me while I was busy. I was miserable and the lessons were not happening regularly.

My advice is to teach them together, and just repeat lessons as necessary until everyone gets it. I understand that possibly you may be slightly holding somebody back, but they can move at their own pace later when they are a little more independent. For now, I have just decided that a little extra review and reinforcement isn't going to hurt anybody!