Menu

My review of the Teacher and Student Quest Guides for Story of Science

missmoe

Segway---These are middle school age texts.

WendyK----I always use the Who, What, Where, When, Theme and Directed Reading. From there I pick and choose. We do the You Be the Scientists about once a week---so that's one lab a week. Most of these are involved and take some time. Every once in a while we do one of the Curriculum LInks. I also plan a week to work on the assessments. My two younger---6th graders---do the multiply chose and short answer question parts of the traditional assessments. My eighth-grader adds the essay questions to those. And then we also spend time that week doing one of the non-traditional assessments. They are just too fun to skip. And we also learn the song that week. We skip alot! Perhaps when my youngest are in eighth-grade, we'll use that last one as our core curriculum. Hopefully, its out by then!:glare:

I loved your review.. I too wondered about the ages of your children using them. Also, do they include hands on experiments and labs, or are those things you add in separately. Are there sections where they suggest experiments? I would love for my kids to eventually read more about the History of Science, but wanted to make sure that I had hands on experiments as well and wondered if it worked in conjunction with History of Science, or would have to be a separate thing during the year.

Also, how often do you do this Science each week? Thanks so much.

SaDonna,

My kids are aged 11, 11, and 13. I should have been more specific---the You Be a Scientist and some of the Cooperative Team Learning are labs. There is a ton of hands-on activities and labs. So many, there is no way we could fit them in during the two times we do science a week. Tuesday and Thursday afternoons are devouted to science. So, we spend 1 1/2 to 2 hours on science on this days.