Menu

Spelling recommendation

Embassy

What spelling program can you recommend for a child that spells fine for his age, but needs a program that teaches according to rules or patterns? He has hated AAS and Sequential Spelling. He would really like the standard workbook curriculum with a weekly test, but I need one that teaches according to spelling rules or patterns. Any ideas?

Spelling by Sound and Structure (Rod and Staff). Although second and third are pretty simple, fourth and up are very challenging--not the spelling words, necessarily, but the exercises which teach the rules and whatnot.

Thanks! That looks like it might be a good fit.

I have not used the Rod and Staff spelling curriculum, but if it is half as good as their grammar program, it should be excellent.

We've used Spelling Power, which is not a workbook-type program, with success. We have also successfully used Spelling Workout, which is a workbook program. I have not found the Teacher's Manuals to be necessary with SW.

HTH,

GardenMom

My son is 9, 3rd grade, and using Apples Daily Spelling Drills for part of his spelling curriculum. I have AAS for my 1st graders but he finds it too babyish. The Apples one was written for older kids but I think the content is appropriate for 3rd grade, or anyone who is a strong reader. The only problem we've had regarding it being for older kids is that he doesn't always know all of the vocabulary words. It is a Christian book so it uses Bible verses in some of the examples. It's not super preachy but definitely a Christian book.

There are no spelling lists or spelling tests, but rather it has the student practice spelling rules. The rule is introduced and then he spends a few days working with that rule and writing the rule out. I think my son has learned a ton from this and he retains it because of the repetition and it only takes about 10min of independent work!