Menu

Memoria Press's States & Capitals

RootAnn

I think this is brand new, but am interested in hearing from anyone who has seen (in person) MP's States & Capitals curriculum.

Teacher Sample

Student Sample

We did states/capitals this year, but my younger dd (dd#2) didn't learn them as well as the older. I'm considering adding a work-booky type of reinforcement for #2 that she can do mostly on her own. This caught my eye, but the teacher sample looks like just the student pages with answers overwritten (and therefore not worth $12, IMO).

If you have another workbook-type (easy to do on her own) review -- I'm open to it. I don't need map skills or a bunch of extras. (I wouldn't add the "don't know much about ..." book to her work, just the MP workbook.)

Thanks!

Yeah, the samples they show don't make this program look worth the money. They should show samples that one wouldn't be able to do on our own in a few minutes, hehe.

I've been collecting resources to start our first state/capital study, so I'm curious as well. I actually think I can do this without a workbook though, we've got lots of books and games.

I will tell you that Audio Memory DVD (movie) is NOT worth ANY money. And it comes under two different covers. We hated the first one, so I bought what I thought was something different, and lo and behold, the same DVD!

The Audio Memory CD (music) is better than the DVD, but not nearly as good as the world geography. One tune repeated for the southern border, northern border, and eastern border. They just changed the names in the song.

We have United States map placemats, and have been going over the states in order (around the border) for a few weeks now. I always start in a different spot, and try to vary the direction.

I also bought the Man In the Map book. It is WAAAY over the heads of my almost 6 year olds, but they are a little behind. Truly I can't imagine it would be useful for anyone below mid-elementary. Also, it is just so complicated. I think it might be easier just to review review review than to learn it the way they teach. (Do you think of a flashlight when you think of New York? That's the memory hook. A lot of them are really random like that!)

So that's everything that I've bought that DOESN'T work! :)

My daughter loves the Man in the Map. I thought it might be over her head too, and I only read it once to her. However, she has been drawing maps of the United States all on her own, with the Man in there of course, that are eerily good! So I have to give that book some credit. Same with Scrambled States book. She got a kick out of that, and learned a lot of state names. She talks about certain states falling in love and all the other silly stories, that I don't even remember (as I only read that once too). So these seemingly silly tools have certainly helped me daughter (age 5 when we read them).

We played the Great States Jr. game this past weekend. It went well, but almost to the point of being too easy. She really seems to know her states and shapes, and I don't know from where. I will order the other Great States game now, but it has a few bad reviews from having a few inaccuracies, so be prepared to edit a few cards.

I actually have all my state stuff in front of me, I plan to start officially studying this very soon. Here's what I have (or on the way this week):

After all these tools, I suppose that's why I'm not very tempted by that Memoria Press USA workbook.