Menu

Lightning Lit or CLE for middle school readig/lit?

My answer is both! That is what we are planning for both 7th and 8th grades. CLE reading is a one semester course, and many posters say LL is easy to consider a one semester course also. HTH!

Hmmm, good idea! But I thought the LL 7 and 8 were one year programs?

I'll have to go back and check, Thanks!

I'm using CLE Reading 6 this year, and I LOVE the fact that it's a one-semester course. That gives me a fighting chance of getting close to the end in one year! LOL!!

DS is not too thrilled with the CLE, but really, the stories are thought-provoking, even though they can on the surface give the appearance of being simple. But that's just a mirage.

There was one story that actually prompted him to ask me to take him to the library and get a book out (tried not to faint!).

I think CLE has been great. That said, I am considering switching to LL for 7 and 8, but have not decided completely yet; we've used CLE reading since 3rd...

I need to look at the samples more closely for both for those grade levels.

They're both great choices, imo. Haven't used LL at all with older kids, LL would be new for me; I'm trying to figure if we should give up a good thing for the unknown...

Do you think that CLE reading is advanced. My dd in 7th has never done a formal reading program. I have let her just read for fun to develop a "love" of reading.

It's finally happened too! She has read 7 novels in January!

So for 8th would doing the 7th grade CLE be better?

Why I was leaning towards CLE to begin with is because she hates reading novels unless she likes the content. Doing CLE would be more like a "curriculum" if that makes sense, shorter passages etc..

Then she could pick and choose novels to her liking

Am I making sense???

I find it to be right on target, not too advanced--though I've heard it described that way. I like the inclusion of literary devices and logical fallacies and there are some thought provoking questions.

Both my son and I find it tedious. I think it has a way of sucking the life out of reading--but that may be related to the way we use it (mostly independent w/ some discussion). There are also times when I either disagree with conclusions they draw from the material, or think their view is slightly slanted. I also worry about the answer key which does not really allow for much individual interpretation which programs like LL, TOG, and Teaching the Classics encourage.

We are going to finish it, because of the content that I like and because it does make for a somewhat independent curriculum (which I need right now so I can work w/ DD). However, DS and I enjoyed LL7 sooooo much more. I don't know if I will repeat it with DD. I don't know that I would say CLE encourages a love for reading, DS can't wait to go back to reading whole books.

About writing, so far we haven't hit much writing in CLE at all. LL7 had a good amount--enough that DS was writing about each book, but could still handle other writing assignments.

This has been our experience, for what it's worth. I think CLE might work better if I had more time to devote to discussion, but still we would end up preferring LL.

HTH

Shannon