Menu

Single favorite item for K-2nd.

I love many things on here, but I have to say I have started to love librivox and mp3s.

I have downloaded tons and tons of things, and my kids love listening to them. I've downloaded what's on Ambleside's reading list and my kids are now telling me stories from Fifty Famous Stories Retold, which I never thought they would even listen to. They're absorbed in various folk and fairy tales, and they are listening to some longer books when I am busy doing something else. I am shocked at how fantastic this has been. And it's FREE! I've also downloaded some stories from Kiddie Records and Story Nory that are also nice.

I love Google Books and Project Gutenberg and other sources for old, online books.

Great link! Thank you for posting this!

.Do you cut these up and put them in a 3-brad folder? This is a brilliant idea! I have so many things the kids can't write in so I can use them through multiple children...they'd much prefer this!

I need most things for multiple children too! I just cut the cover off, tore out each page, and put them in regular page protectors (large box from Costco - which also has Kumon Book sets in our area) and a binder. I think it's a 3" binder I have, which holds 3 books. The tops stick out a bit because the books are taller than the protectors but I don't mind. (and didn't really feel like cutting all the tops off each page :001_smile:) My pre-k daughter loves the maze and dot-to-dot style number books so I have her favorites together and she will sit with them for a solid 45 min or so and go thru the whole thing - and wipe them all off too! (This worked well for our Key To Fraction book when my older daughter needed extra practice over and over again.)

I also remembered that we really like the Rod and Staff Pre-k series. We started my 4 yo with "Do it Carefully" and are going through the remainder of the series. My 6yo's favorite was working through the Write Source K book. We skipped most of the beginning pages but he really enjoyed learning the writing process, etc..

I haven't read through all the posts, but I would have to say individual, lap-sized white boards and plenty of colored dry erase markers. These have been invaluable across a variety of subjects.

As for curriculum... I'd have to say Singapore Math. We really love it here.

I need most things for multiple children too! I just cut the cover off, tore out each page, and put them in regular page protectors (large box from Costco - which also has Kumon Book sets in our area) and a binder. I think it's a 3" binder I have, which holds 3 books.
This idea has seriously opened up a world of good workbooks that I previously couldn't afford purchasing multiple times. Thanks so much!

I haven't read through all the posts, but I would have to say individual, lap-sized white boards and plenty of colored dry erase markers. These have been invaluable across a variety of subjects.

This reminds me - I gave ours to my dh and I need to go steal it back. :tongue_smilie:

I'm glad to see so many things on my list for next year mentioned in this thread!