Menu

Handwriting Without Tears: What should I buy?

warriormom

I am going to go ahead and order HWT for my rising kindergartener. My plan is to pick up the student workbook and teacher's guide for kindergarten and 1st grade. Do I need all of the other stuff? Any suggestions? :confused:

Personally that's all we use. We don't use the extra

Stuff. I don't know if I am even going to buy the teachers manual when I get the 1st grade material.

You don't need the 1st grade teacher book because everything is repeated from the K book.

I thought the chalkboard was very effective for teaching the upper case letters and it was so inexpensive anyway. My dd now uses it to "school" her dolls.

I like having extra paper and the notebooks because I think the 2 line method is brilliant! My kids can easily transition to 3 lines, but I appreciated having the 2 lines for learning.

I also loved having the gray block paper for extra uppercase practice.

First grade TM is not necessary at all. The letter formation is all in the workbook. I just taught my first grader the HWT method of letter formation, and never had any desire to open a TM. I do have the K TM, and looked at it briefly before starting, but since we weren't doing the early writing activities, I didn't need it. I'll look at it again before I teach my 4 year old to write, but certainly won't use it on any regular basis. The workbooks are pretty self-explanatory.