Menu

Orlando vacation recommendations?

I'm travelling with my 17 year old daughter from Northern British Columbia to Orlando at the end of March for a special just-before-you-leave home Mother-Daughter holiday. We have a hotel booked close to Disney and would like to go to Disney World for a few days, but aren't sure where we should concentrate our time in the park. Any suggestions?

Also, where else would you suggest we go in Orlando? Anywhere we should avoid?

Thanks so much!

my dd, almost 16, loves Epcot the best. SHe loves shopping at the countries, escecially the ;big store at Japan. SHe also loves getting snacks at the bakeries (mostly Norway and France).

Soarin is a favorite ride for her. We spent 8 days at Disney in Dec. and 3 of those days we spent at Epcot, mostly at the countries.

Of the 4 Disney parks our favorite is Epcot. They have some very cool rides there and we like the fireworks in the evening.

My kids also liked the Disney water parks that we added on to our park ticket for just a few extra dollars.

We spent 12 days at a Disney hotel last May and didn't have time to do anything other than the Disney parks and water parks. It was awesome. :D

Thanks, everyone!

Epcot seems to be getting high marks from most of you. We'll be sure to see the country pavillions. Are there any particular rides we should try?

What is there to do at Universal Studios? I know nothing about them, other than they make movies, and apparently also run a theme park. Would you go see the Harry Potter area, or is there something else to do there?

If we were to go shopping for a day, where should we go? I live in a town with single lane highways and four stop lights, so am not keen on doing any more driving on freeways than absolutely necessary.

I will check out the alligator place. Has anyone tried the simulated sky diving? Any good places for dinner shows? Is Cirque du Soleil worth seeing?

Thanks for all of your help!

How long do you have? I've only done Disney in the Orlando area. I did Universal as a 23 year old in CA and LOVED it!

If you have a few days at Disney - do try to see all the parks. They're all so different and each has its own identity. Most people in my family prefer Epcot. A couple of us prefer Magic Kingdom. MK IS Disney. It's just so magical.

At Epcot - rides. Are you an adventurous person? Mission Space has two different levels. My boys LOVE the harder one. Personally - I'd vomit! My 10 yo said to me, "But they have vomit bags in there!" Um. Yea. That makes it appealing!! LOL

Soarin is a ride NOT to miss. Get a fast pass for that one. Much faster! We like the boat ride in the Land (Living on (or with?) the Land maybe - I can't remember). I love the last section on how they grow food. I don't like the emphasis on GE foods, but the ride is informative.

Test Track! FUN ride! My dd5 has declared this her second favorite ride at Disney. But, my teen boys love it too! It's FAST and fun!

We also LOVE the Turtle Talk with Crush. Love it! The Nemo ride is cute, but not if there's a line.

If you want to eat at Epcot - you'll be in heaven!! Le Cellier is our favorite (Canadian steak house). But, we've also loved Coral Reef. We ate at the fast food place at Mexico and Japan and they were AWESOME! We tried Marakesh once and weren't impressed (Morocco's sit down restaurant). My sis and her dh LOVED the counter service place at Norway. Oh - if you like dark beer - get one at England. (Gotta' say - Soarin' is even better after a beer!!! LOL)

You'll have a great time!