Menu

Need help getting the 'specials' like computer, music, art...

golfcartmama

I need help scheduling our days. We school 4-5 days a week, depending on the week if there's a field trip, etc. We DO manage to stay on track for Math, LA (we're heavy on this), History & Geo. We do Science once a week, which I wish was more, but I can't seem to fit it in (RSO Life). We have plenty of P.E. type activities, but art instruction, music and especially computer time for the kids is almost non-existant. They do little crafts, color and do basic painting frequently, but I'm not teaching them anything. Music...other than occassionally listening to classical, that's it. Computer...I feel like I should have my DS learn to type and play some educational games, like math practice, etc. What are reasonable expectations for these subjects on hours per week?

I want to get Atelier, but haven't saved enough yet. Still clueless on music. I can't afford private lessons (and no piano or other instrument available anyway). I want to be sure that they get a well-rounded education and if/when they have to go back into ps they aren't way behind these things.

Any ideas on when to schedule these and what to use to get it done??

Penny Gardener has a recorder book that is very inexpensive. (It would be my choice if we hadn't gotten the piano.) Have you tried a sticker chart? I made one for my 8yo for his online phonics videos and it helps in that he (may) remind me to get started.

For typing we were using Dance Mat online (its free and cute). We will restart after he completes the phonics lessons on the computer, but I had him start with 10 minutes. He did that at night, before he went to bed. (He stays up a bit later than his brothers.)

No clue on art. I've finally relaxed my ideals and we are doing a different art focus every year in the winter (photography this year because it's easy and I'm broke). Usually in the winter I need more to occupy them, the other seasons they will be outside more. The older two do map drawing a la The Core, and I'm getting them their own nature journals.

Amy

I just read the other day (here) of a mom who said she used something called Artpac, so I looked it up and it's from Rod and Staff. It is a neat $7.95 kit where you give them an art lesson once a week. I skimmed the website details and now I'm considering adding this in to our schedule.

I looked at Atelier once after reading about it here and thought it sounded great but ridiculously expensive for "just" an art curriculum.

Then I also read about Meet The Masters...looked at that...and thought THAT sounded great, too, AND more reasonably priced! And not only that but if you sign up for homeschoolbuyersco-op.org (which I just found out about yesterday and if you don't already know about it, you should! LOL), they currently have a deal where you can buy it for half the price! So I bought it yesterday and plan to start using it next year with my daughter.

Just to throw it out there in case you are interested in looking into it :)

Insofar as scheduling goes- I don't think you have to worry about teaching a second grader to type yet but if you do want to, you can get him something like Sponge Bob typing, or Typing Instructor for Kids Platinum, and just let him do it on his free time for fun.

Likewise, you can throw some educational games in a computer "folder" for him, which you save as his name, and let him play it for fun on his free time as a reward for doing well with school or just for fun or however you want to do it. I don't think you have to do those things as "subjects" during your school hours per se. I also don't think you need anything very structured for music yet, if you don't want to/don't have time to. Listening to classical music (and other music of his choice), perhaps occasionally you might have chance to attend a live musical performance, perhaps you have some "toy" instruments, that's all good.

For 4th grade, I used the site makingmusicfun with my daughter to do the "meet the composer" section- you read a mini bio and then listen to them on Youtube- and this year we're doing the "meet the orchestra" section and learning about different instruments... and we do that once a week on a Friday. Next year, in 6th grade, we're going to sign her up for guitar lessons. I'm going to have her take typing lessons (again) over the summer. Art will have a scheduled time slot for us next year for using MTM. But "computer time" never does, that's just on their free time. Just do whatever works for you guys!

I looked at Atelier once after reading about it here and thought it sounded great but ridiculously expensive for "just" an art curriculum.

Then I also read about Meet The Masters...looked at that...and thought THAT sounded great, too, AND more reasonably priced! And not only that but if you sign up for homeschoolbuyersco-op.org (which I just found out about yesterday and if you don't already know about it, you should! LOL), they currently have a deal where you can buy it for half the price! So I bought it yesterday and plan to start using it next year with my daughter.

Just to throw it out there in case you are interested in looking into it :)

Insofar as scheduling goes- I don't think you have to worry about teaching a second grader to type yet but if you do want to, you can get him something like Sponge Bob typing, or Typing Instructor for Kids Platinum, and just let him do it on his free time for fun.

Likewise, you can throw some educational games in a computer "folder" for him, which you save as his name, and let him play it for fun on his free time as a reward for doing well with school or just for fun or however you want to do it. I don't think you have to do those things as "subjects" during your school hours per se. I also don't think you need anything very structured for music yet, if you don't want to/don't have time to. Listening to classical music (and other music of his choice), perhaps occasionally you might have chance to attend a live musical performance, perhaps you have some "toy" instruments, that's all good.

For 4th grade, I used the site makingmusicfun with my daughter to do the "meet the composer" section- you read a mini bio and then listen to them on Youtube- and this year we're doing the "meet the orchestra" section and learning about different instruments... and we do that once a week on a Friday. Next year, in 6th grade, we're going to sign her up for guitar lessons. I'm going to have her take typing lessons (again) over the summer. Art will have a scheduled time slot for us next year for using MTM. But "computer time" never does, that's just on their free time. Just do whatever works for you guys!

First, let me say, you always have good answers for me! Thank you! Second, great idea on the folder...I can store some bookmarks in a folder under his name--DUH! Why am I so blind sometimes? It will be a good excersice that he can do while I work with dd on phonics lessons and skip counting. Finally, I really want Atelier, but it's just too expensive right now. I may do the MTM thing and at least try it for the rest of the year. I'm going to look at it again!

I just read the other day (here) of a mom who said she used something called Artpac, so I looked it up and it's from Rod and Staff. It is a neat $7.95 kit where you give them an art lesson once a week. I skimmed the website details and now I'm considering adding this in to our schedule.

I have the art pacs! I don't know if I got levels that were too easy or not, but they're just coloring books. They do ask them to shade this or cut this out and put in on construction paper, etc I guess it's just not working for us b/c it's not exciting maybe??

Penny Gardener has a recorder book that is very inexpensive. (It would be my choice if we hadn't gotten the piano.) Have you tried a sticker chart? I made one for my 8yo for his online phonics videos and it helps in that he (may) remind me to get started.

For typing we were using Dance Mat online (its free and cute). We will restart after he completes the phonics lessons on the computer, but I had him start with 10 minutes. He did that at night, before he went to bed. (He stays up a bit later than his brothers.)

No clue on art. I've finally relaxed my ideals and we are doing a different art focus every year in the winter (photography this year because it's easy and I'm broke). Usually in the winter I need more to occupy them, the other seasons they will be outside more. The older two do map drawing a la The Core, and I'm getting them their own nature journals.

Amy

CLEARLY, I don't know how to multiquote, sice I just had to answer everyone separately! Anywhoo...will look into the Penny Gardner book, sounds good and the Dance Mat, we like free here too!

I can pipe in on a few of these. We're loving Meet the Masters. You can order it 50% off through the Homeschool Co-op.

We also just started typing for my 6 year old this week. We are using Dance Mat Typing for free (my daughter giggles through it and has a blast), as well as some Mavis Beacon Typing for Kids. I like both the programs actually. My daughter is super enthusiastic about typing and I think she's been practicing 30-60 minutes a day the past few days.

As for science, we're using RSO Life as well, and I can fit it in much easier than other science programs we've tried, although still can't get to it every week. I'll try harder now! :)