Menu

LA/Writing for 3rd grade

Disney Dreaming

Ok guys, I am in my second year of homeschooling and really tired of curriculum hopping. Sometimes the hopping is that i believe that the grass is greener on the other side, sometimes I don't feel like dd(7) is keeping up with public school. I have tried A Beka for a yr and a half and I just don't know if it is enough. We haven't hit nouns yet. I have bought CLE, it doesn't look like there is enough in the first unit-maybe I need to look through the rest of the units? I have FLL, I like this so far, we may double up to finish by summer. I tried Rod and Staff at the beginning of the year, there just seemed to be ALOT of writing for dd. For writing, I have picked up WWE, this is the only writing we have tried. Opinions? My instinct is FLL and WWE, but is this REALLY enough along with spelling for LA? Has anyone used these alone until 5th grade? If so, is your child where he/she needs to be?I really need guidance, I don't have any support group here. All friends and family think I am crazy to be homeschooling dd(we live in a county with unbelievable school system). Please, help!

We used FLL/WWE exclusively with ds now in 5th. Dd is on the same track with a little IEW thrown in early since ds is doing it now. I feel ds is definitely on or above grade level with LA. We used the method from WWE to do narrations in history, science, art, and music. We also did some narrations and other writing in response to literature. Last year we did a genre study with a guide book from Scholastic that I guess you could consider writing work, but it was just an extra not a curriculum.

The dictations, although tedious, have been very helpful in his writing skill. It has been harder to accomplish those consistently with the second child, and unfortunately it shows. I guess I need to put that on the list of things to improve on!

I have a dd in 3rd grade and we are enjoying WWE2 (we took a while going through WWE1 in 1st and 2nd grade), FLL3, and Writing Strands 2. We skip some of the copywork/dictation in FLL because of the copywork/dictation in WWE. For spelling, we are using All About Spelling. So far, it has been working well. Some days I feel like all we do is Language Arts, lol, but I feel like it is thorough. Dd loves it.

We are using exclusively WWE2 and FLL3, and AAS. It works wonderfully, and he is learning tons of grammar and writing. After listening to SWB's lecture, I am confident in the plan! :) I was all set to start Writing Tales or something next year, but I will no longer be doing that and will continue with this plan. DD1 will start WWE2 next year for 2nd grade, as she is a willing writer. DS is on WWE2 and it is perfect for him.

We currently use FLL 1/2, WWE 1 and AAS 1.

I'm very confident in these curriculum choices because since we've begun them my dd has bloomed compared to being in the seed packet...clear as mud? LOL!

She'll be in 3rd next year. Although we got a late start on the L.A. lineup we'll continue this path. She'll be doing AAS 2/3, WWE 2 and FLL 3.

Thanks for all the replies! Please keep them coming! I am just second guessing everything I do, comparing what we are doing vs ps and worrying that she is behind. I am really seeing progress with FLL, the repetition is great for her. We are just starting WWE so we will see how she does.

Listen to the writing lecture from SWB - the one focusing on elementary writing. It explains the process, where you are heading, and why you are doing what you're doing. After that, you'll feel sorry for those public school kids that are not really learning to write, even if they can write a paragraph in first grade (seriously, my son's first grade class just started writing paragraphs - the "journal homework" was sent home and I was still on the e-mail list). They will be writing "more" than my son at this point (first grade), but by high school, my son's writing will be miles ahead of theirs. He'll have actually learned to form proper thoughts, whereas the kids at school are just learning to put whatever on paper to make the word/sentence/page limit their teacher has asked of them.

Don't compare to what the public school kids are doing. Compare to what you think your child should be doing as part of her classical education and with the goals you have in mind.