Menu

Vaccinating your own animals to save $

Have you considered purchasing distemper and other yearly vaccines from Farm & Fleet and vaccinating your own pets vs. taking them to the vet? You would pay between $20-$50 for a vaccination from the doctor, but I noticed Farm & Fleet had Bordetella on sale for under $4.

We have 3 dogs and 2 cats and this can be very costly with multiple trips to the vet. Neither DH or I have any medical training but the savings seems to good to pass up. I am seriously considering this. Would you as well?

I've vaccinated my own dogs for years. I also ran a rescue for many years and vaccinated the foster dogs.

It costs me approx. $7 for the 7-way vaccine and $2 for the kennel cough.

It is very easy to do.

The schedule seems to have changed since I first started doing vaccinations. Now they recommend a 3 year schedule for the 7-way and the kennel cough changed to every 6 months.

Ironically after the 100's of dogs that I have vaccinated one of my personal dogs is allergic to one of the shots - we don't know which one. So from now on he has to have a titer done and we will only vaccinate if he no longer has immunity and will only do one particular kind of vaccine at a time, one year distemper, the next parvo and so on under the guidance of my vet.

After speaking to my vet earlier this month they also changed the dosage of ivermectin needed as a heartworm preventative.