Menu

Minimum standards for graduation?

I don't like to think in terms of minimums for my dd but I am thinking I need to map a plan that has some minimums and ideals. My dd has moderate CP. Her brain is affected in the areas if language math and memory. So LA,and math are our huge hurdles. She struggles with some complex reasoning as well. She has some motivational issues as well. We are putting the big push on her this year to get more on track with where I feel she is really capable of being if she would just work consistently and try to do well. She is 13 and we are calling her 6th grade loosely. She reads R&S 3rd grade. Math is almost 4th grade CLE (starting). Actually applying language is lower. She is mid CLE 2nd grade. History and Science we are able to keep her on track.

So that is a little background but I am wondering do you all have minimums in terms of what level must they achieve to graduate high school. She is very strong headed as many kids with CP are so I do not trust she will go on in school after we are done. So I am thinking a minimum completion is a good idea for her. Any advice, links or threads you could point me to that show some "standard". I know it is hard because learning levels are different but hoping for some information.:)

I will start off with caveat that I do not have much experience with CP kids but I don't want your thread to go unanswered. So I will enter in the conversation, and at the least serve as a bump to move your thread up :)

I guess I would wonder what your and her ultimate goals are. Is living independently a goal? Then I would be working on all skills related to that. A friend of mine teaches special ed at our local high school, and he teaches precisely this to his class-- they take the bus around the city, work at a job, manage money, work on filling out job applications, doing career research etc... I also know that the kids in his class often attend well past the typical age of graduation. If you want more info about this track that my friend teaches, and how they determine goals for graduation, I am happy to talk to him more.

You may want to investigate college-- so at least you could understand that option. One friend of mine sent their CP daughter to a college in PA that specifically served populations that had various needs-- her daughter was wheel-chair bound. So, I perhaps looking at colleges that may be equiped to serve a more diverse population would be helpful, now at least so you have a picture of how that would go.

Anyhow, probably not the most helpful, but some thinking with you on this....Hopefully others that are BTDT or are in the same boat will jump in.

There are a few different ways to address this. One might be to continue schooling her until a certain age and then give her high school diploma. Perhaps you want to school her until 18 or wait until age 21. Or her diploma could be based on reaching her goals.

Here’s a link to four different options for diplomas that public schools do. http://www.cehd.umn.edu/NCEO/onlinepubs/Policy10.htm

Since you mention she might not be going to school past high school, maybe you would focus on functional life skills. There are some “life skills†colleges for after high school. I don’t know if something like this would be appropriate for your daughter: https://www.minnesotalifecollege.org/WhoIsTheMLCStudent.php

Thank you for all the information. The NCEO link really helped. My daughter was on an IEP when she was in ps. I took her out because they were not following her IEP in sort of a protest actually. She was in 2nd grade and barely knew her letter sounds and knew literally no math. I homeschooled her for a month and she started to read 3 letter words. The special needs teacher was the one who suggested I hs her. So if nothing else this reinforces what I know that she is better off not following the standards of an IEP which pretty much sought to show they were making progress instead of she was actually learning.

Anyway I know I am asking a question that really is an answer that can only be by the individual but the links helped so I really appreciate it.:) I also made myself a goal list year by year of what could be the best case scenario knowing what I know about how my daughter learns and listing out the curriculum I know is working to the end of what would be an acceptable best circumstance goal, not impossible but a stretch. Sort of a reach for the stars land on the moon type thing with a goal that reflects where her gifts and interests are ultimately. Then I looked at requirements for that and worked my way backward to where we are. That sort of gives me a reality under the best of circumstances we are looking at high school until 20 or so. Just want her and me on the same page on that one. I don't want to limit her and I don't want to sabotage her. It is hard to know what the future brings when you have learning issues that really do not fit a neat pattern with a predictable outcome. I guess that in a way is good because it does not limit us either. :)

Thanks for your help!

It is hard to know what the future brings when you have learning issues that really do not fit a neat pattern with a predictable outcome. I guess that in a way is good because it does not limit us either. :)

I understand completely.

Glad to her you have found a plan you feel good about.

Thanks guys! I do agree completely something that is a skill is important in the end and in truth my dd might struggle with even that and ultimately that could be her big goal. I can accept that really just don't want myself to be the reason that holds her back and to take her to the best, best God has for her.:001_smile: Hard to know what that is as a mom sometimes.