Menu

Elemental or Noeo Science with multiple ages

truebluexf

Can either of these be successfully done with different ages? My kids will be 4th and 2nd next year. I'd like a program that helps me do things with narration, etc and these seem to have it all laid out for you (worksheets will help me be less lazy about it lol!). They seem more geared towards either the lower or upper elementary grades, however. Any experience and opinions?

:bigear:

Not much advice here....mine will be the same ages next year and I just bought Elemental Science for next year. I ended up getting the Physical science and I think we will really like it. There does look like quite a bit of writing for my youngest (since it's technically not for 2nd grade) so I may end up writing his narrations for him or his lab sheets. But the experiment books look like they will be great for both ages. Hope you get some more replies because I'm curious about NOEO as well . :001_smile:

I am using ES Earth Science & Astronomy with my 1st and 3rd graders and it works great. Sometimes I find that I need to supplement with something a little more "meaty" for my gifted 3rd grader, but it is easy to do. I LOVE that it is all planned out and that she (Paige, the creator of the curriculum) offers a 2-day schedule as this fits our needs perfectly. It is SO doable! We have thoroughly enjoyed our ES experience and plan to do the Chemistry course next year.

One exciting addition to ES is experiment kits! So far she has only added them for the Intro. to Science, but is planning to add them for the other courses as well. :001_smile:

I use ES with 4th down to K. It was pretty easy with Biology and Earth Science (which we just finished). We just started Chem and it is a little harder to "make easier" for the little two (because of the topic, not the curriculum). I pretty much have my 4th grader do the reading as is. My 3rd grader sometimes does the reading as is and sometimes I have her read from another book with similar info, but easier for her to read.

My little guys I'm choosing other books that hit the same concepts. I think it may be harder as we go deeper into chem... there aren't too many "simple" books on chemistry. I'm thinking that most of my little guys' chem education will come from doing experiments with us and learning through those. Perfectly acceptable for K/1 I believe!

I almost broke down and bought the Intro to Science for them, but I really don't have time to do 2 separate sciences.

Thanks. I also like the 2 day option with Elemental Science! We are supposed to be doing RSO this year but tbh I haven't even started...oops. I'm thinking of switching and doing the Bio level for the rest of this year and switching to possibly ES for next year. If we do SOTW instead of WP, we can do history 2 days and science 2 days, which I think will be more doable. I also like that it's all spelled out in a classical format so I can be sure to do lots of narration and such with my kids!!!

Maybe if we ES next year instead of Chem (even though DS is begging for chem) it will be appropriate for both of them. My problem is I have zero interest in Earth Science so it's hard for me to teach it...kwim??? I'd skip to chemistry but I think it will be too much for my DD1, who will be a young second grader. Decisions, decisions!!!!