Menu

Science help

thowell

I thought I was all set for next year (6th grade) to use BJU for our Science. Well the kiddos just blew that out of the water. Here is what they are asking for. Something with lots and lots of experiments! They want to create and blow stuff up, they want to mix things and create! My conditions would be; well laid out lesson plans, easy to teach, not too many extra resources needed, I go to the library enough for history! Something with a definite Christian perspective. Am I wanting the impossible? The kids just don't want to learn about space, earth, plants, animals,or oceans for another second. Please help me figure this out or at least narrow down my choices.

Edited by thowell

I would say your looking for either physics or chemistry curriculum, here's the options I can think of for your age group...

-Elemental Science's Physics for the Grammar Stage

-NOEO (I think they have physics and chemistry 2)

-Ellen McHenry's Elements & Carbon Chemistry

-Science in a Nutshell Kits (just let them choose of few)

Hope that helps a bit, at the very least it will give you a bump :D.

I would say your looking for either physics or chemistry curriculum, here's the options I can think of for your age group...

-Elemental Science's Physics for the Grammar Stage

-NOEO (I think they have physics and chemistry 2)

-Ellen McHenry's Elements & Carbon Chemistry

-Science in a Nutshell Kits (just let them choose of few)

Hope that helps a bit, at the very least it will give you a bump :D.

Thanks these look ok but none of them seem to be from a Christian perspective. I guess I could add that in myself but I don't want to have to edit alot. Maybe something from a neutral standpoint if not Christian?

-Ellen McHenry's Elements Chemistry

I've used this and it was great. It's pretty much straight chemistry, so it ought to be OK, in a neutral way. We used it in a co-op situation as a "core" and did a few things to complement it (mainly to slow it down a bit and reinforce the learning, as the kids were pretty young). I liked that it gave very accurate information, but was also very hands-on and fun. Would be super to do with 2 or more kids.

I know that Elemental Science is from a neutral standpoint and I believe that the other are as well. However, you may want to look at the God's Design for Science series or the Christian Kids Explore series, I'm not sure if they have chemistry or physics, but they may be a better for you.