Menu

EpiPen dosage, what would you feel comfortable with?

The dose isn't calculated by severity of reaction. It is based on body weight.

For a 42 pound kid who gains slowly, I'd be comfortable with either Jr. or the adult Epi-Pen. If your child is likely to hit or exceed 45 pounds before the pens expire, I'd consider asking the allergist to change the prescription.

The area of most debate seems to be between 45 and 65 pounds. The Jr. is a bit small, especially at the upper end of that weight range, but the adult is an overdose (based on dose/kg body weight). Some allergists stick with the Jr, while others argue that an epi overdose is better than an underdose.

I just had this discussion a month or so ago with my allergist and doctor since my DS is just under the Epi Jr weight limit. I was hoping to get the regular dose and not have to replace the scrip when my DS gains 6 lbs. However, both doctors I asked agreed that I should stick the jrs and avoid the risk of overdosing. Just my data points.

This epi pen/allergy business is a pain any way you look at it, but I am thankful to have the epi pen as DS has had some really ugly reactions.

The area of most debate seems to be between 45 and 65 pounds. The Jr. is a bit small, especially at the upper end of that weight range, but the adult is an overdose (based on dose/kg body weight). Some allergists stick with the Jr, while others argue that an epi overdose is better than an underdose.

Haven't heard of any controversy. Ds had anaphylaxis (biphasic) to cashews when he was 5. Gave Epi on drive to ER (think it was Jr, but may have been adult). He's had the adult Epis (although thankfully we haven't needed them!) for at least 2 years now. I did ask his allergist when he changed the scrip, but he said ds should be on the adult dose. I'm sure he's not 60 lbs yet.

In your medicine pack, we also carry Orapred. You may want to check on that.

I would also consider Benadryl melt a way strips instead of the liquid if it is ok with your doctor. It is a strip that you place on the tongue and melts quickly. It would be easier and safer to give in situations of respiratory distress or nausea/vomiting since it is mostly absorbed in the mouth and dissolves instantly. In nursing we always avoided giving things to drink/eat unless absolutely necessary when there was respiratory distress or nausea/vomiting as a safety precaution. Our allergist agrees:)

They can be hard to find. I get ours at the local CVS. You may have to ask the pharmacist for a special order. I would also carry a kids scissors in the pack since the melt a ways can be slightly tricky to open and scissors help:) I would also make sure of which dosage doctor wants since they come in children's dose of 12.5 mg and adult dose 25 mg strips. My ds would need 2 of the 25 mg strips-one at a time for a dose of 50 mg. He weighs 92 pounds. I would also make sure everyone is very familiar with how to use the strips since you don't want to learn how in an emergency.

http://www.benadryl.com/?utm_campaign=2011%20Benadryl%20Recall&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=Benadryl%20Recall&utm_term=benadryl&gclid=CIa4pNL4xKYCFYbb4AodYD4tGw#/Adult_Products/Allergy-Quick-Dissolve-Strips/

Edited by priscilla