Menu

Does anyone know if the Story of the World mp3's work on a Kindle?

Yes, I just tried it. I have the SOTW 1 which I purchased and downloaded about a month ago. You have to connect your Kindle to your computer. I have a Mac computer so for me I just need to drag the SOTW folder into the Kindle icon which appears on the computer screen when I connect the Kindle. I know you can also put audiobooks downloaded from Librivox onto the Kindle also. Hope this helps!

Adrianne in IL

Okay, I will try to explain how it looks, so bear with me. I have a Mac . . . it may work/look differently with a PC. When connect the Kindle to my Mac there is a Kindle icon that appears. I can click on that and open it to reveal four folders . . . "audible", "documents", "music" and "system". I dragged the "SOTW" folder (which contains my vol. 1 mp3 download) into the Kindle "audible" folder. The file is then copied to the Kindle. When disconnect the Kindle and look at it you should see this:

audio sotw1chap49

On my Kindle the last chapter was displayed first, but they are all there. When you click on a chapter something that looks like a tape player display shows up so you can skip ahead a little bit within each chapter. But each chapter is there, separately, so you can navigate easily from chapter to chapter. Hope this helps.

Editing to add I am not sure how much space an audiobook takes . . . if I figure that out I will post here. You can also put music on your Kindle if you want . . . but if you drop it in the "music" folder I don't think you can navigate through songs. But you can listen to them.

Editing one more time . . . if you click on the menu button then look at the upper left and you will see how much space is left on your Kindle. The ebook manual on the Kindle does say if you need more space on your Kindle mp3's/audio books should be the first thing to delete as they do take up the most space.

Adrianne in IL

Edited by jelbe5

Okay, I will try to explain how it looks, so bear with me. I have a Mac . . . it may work/look differently with a PC. When connect the Kindle to my Mac there is a Kindle icon that appears. I can click on that and open it to reveal four folders . . . "audible", "documents", "music" and "system". I dragged the "SOTW" folder (which contains my vol. 1 mp3 download) into the Kindle "audible" folder. The file is then copied to the Kindle. When disconnect the Kindle and look at it you should see this:

audio sotw1chap49

On my Kindle the last chapter was displayed first, but they are all there. When you click on a chapter something that looks like a tape player display shows up so you can skip ahead a little bit within each chapter. But each chapter is there, separately, so you can navigate easily from chapter to chapter. Hope this helps.

Editing to add I am not sure how much space an audiobook takes . . . if I figure that out I will post here. You can also put music on your Kindle if you want . . . but if you drop it in the "music" folder I don't think you can navigate through songs. But you can listen to them.

Editing one more time . . . if you click on the menu button then look at the upper left and you will see how much space is left on your Kindle. The ebook manual on the Kindle does say if you need more space on your Kindle mp3's/audio books should be the first thing to delete as they do take up the most space.

Adrianne in IL

Thank you so much! So each chapter is listed separately on your Home screen?

Now, let me see if I have this right. I would download the mp3 to my computer and then transfer it to the Kindle. So, I would have the mp3 on my computer and my Kindle. Then I could also back it up to a flash drive or something, right? It's kind of expensive (for me, anyway) so I want to make sure I have it backed up in a few places so I don't lose it somehow.

Yes MO2,

You need to either download the SOTW or purchase the CD's and put it on your computer. If you download it you do want to back it up somehow . . . either a flashdrive or burn it to a CD so you have a back-up.

Also, when I downloaded my copy of SOTW 1 it came in four installments of about 10 chapters each. You don't have to put the entire audiobook on the Kindle at one time . . . you can decide how many chapters to put on at a time . . . say 5 or 10 . . . so you can control how much "space" it takes up. Then you can remove the audio files when you are done with them . . . if you want to.

We have some old iPods here since each of our family members now has an iPod Touch (purchased one at a time as funds permitted . . . most refurbished from Apple). We use the older iPods for audiobooks and "educational songs" such as Lyrical Life Science, etc. Just a fyi thought.

Adrianne in IL

Yes MO2,

You need to either download the SOTW or purchase the CD's and put it on your computer. If you download it you do want to back it up somehow . . . either a flashdrive or burn it to a CD so you have a back-up.

Also, when I downloaded my copy of SOTW 1 it came in four installments of about 10 chapters each. You don't have to put the entire audiobook on the Kindle at one time . . . you can decide how many chapters to put on at a time . . . say 5 or 10 . . . so you can control how much "space" it takes up. Then you can remove the audio files when you are done with them . . . if you want to.

We have some old iPods here since each of our family members now has an iPod Touch (purchased one at a time as funds permitted . . . most refurbished from Apple). We use the older iPods for audiobooks and "educational songs" such as Lyrical Life Science, etc. Just a fyi thought.

Adrianne in IL

Thank you so much.