Menu

2 Day a week History

KrissiK

After Christmas we changed our schedule to this...

M,T - History

W, Th - Science

F - Fine arts

We had been doing history 3 days a week and Fine Arts after lunch 4 days a week. I dropped fine arts in mid-fall because I was too tired to do it after lunch and DS#1 really needed to go outside after a morning of schoolwork, but the kids really did like it, so I decided to go with the 2-day a week history plan as outlined in TWTM. Somehow, I feel like it's a little much all in one day and they maybe aren't learning/retaining what they should. But, then again, this first go-around is kind of a survey anyhow (the boys are 7 & 6), so it's more about exposure than retention. I really like that we've added the Fine Arts and the boys do too, but... I'm just not sure. I can't really cut back the amount of material we're covering in those 2 days because we're already behind in SOTW2 anyhow, as we started in December last year with book 1. Ugh! Anyone btdt and have some advice?

I don't have any advice, sorry! I am considering this same schedule change for us. We do History and Science 3 days with an activity on the 4th (if we get to it!). Doing it two days instead, do you just read 1.5 lessons a day? Do you do activities, mapping etc. on the same day? Just curious. I look forward to hearing what responses you get back.

OK, here's what we did yesterday.

We did ch. 6 in SOTW2 on the spread of Islam. There are actually 4 sections in that chapter. We read 2 sections, answered all the questions in the AG and did one narration. I let the boys choose which section to do a narration on. We did the map work and then I copied the pic of the scimitar on cardstock, we cut it out, put foil on the blade, glued it down on black construction paper and decorated the hilt with glitter glue and tiny jewels. That will go in the notebook as well. We also looked at the corresponding pages in Usborne History of the World. That took us 45 minutes. Today we will read the other 2 sections, answer questions, do a narration and color the picture. I'm not ready to throw in the towel on this schedule yet, but I was just wondering if anyone has done it this way before. SInce we are so far behind, I'm not doing too many other books besides SOTW.

Edited by KrissiK