Menu

Need help- Redoing my kichen.

I'm gutting my kitchen and would like ideas on others kitchen. I have a small kitchen and an island won't fit. I am doing charcol black tile that's all I picked out. I have good natural light. I need ideas for cabinets and wall colors and countertops and appliances. Pictures would be great.

Edited by mom2agang
Forgot to add

We are just finishing up our kitchen. We had hardwood, so we didn't change that out, but we put charcoal tile in the eating area. We have white cabinets and natural wood butcher block counters. We do not have a backsplash, but behind our cooktop, we have a sheet of stainless. It goes with the stainless appliances.

I agree with pp, with a dark backsplash or counters I would do light/white cabinets. and then put a little color on the walls. We did a dark gold/beige glass tile for part of our backsplash and stainless steel tiles for the other oart, with white melamine cabinets (easy to clean ;)), and a dark russet granite countertop. The walls are a warm beige with one deep cinnamon accent wall done in flat paint so it doesn't stand out as much.

You can see pics here toward the bottom of page 8. Be warned, it was a long and very random thread. :D

We just re-did our kitchen. We went with custom made cabinets and red oak flooring. We live in a 80+ yo farmhouse and we wanted to stay with the model and style (craftsman) but update. So we choose birchwood (least expensive) but had them custom built so the quality it fantastic- they arestained it honeygold. For the wood trim (12"floorboards and around window) we went with espresso stain. Then wood blinds to match the cupboards- it's quite warm and homey.

I got a double sink-with an extra 2" on one side. Now I wish I'd gone with an undermount and just one huge bowl instead.

We went with laminate counter top because we have a LOT of counter. My dh picked it- it all blends. I would have like a bit more contrast but I have to say the overall look is very peaceful. We have brushed nickel pulls and knobs and "chandelier." We went with undermount and can lights for the rest of the kitchen- keeps it very unfussy.

And we went with all stainless (at least the look) on appliances (the fridge is painted- but bonus- no smudge marks and much cheaper). I picked appliances straight out of consumer reports.

We took out a wall (we gutted our house- house fire) and put in a large peninsula. It is THE gathering place in the house.

You can see almost done pics here (3rd picture down) and here. I thought I had pictures of the finished kitchen/floor done but I coudn't find any. I'll try to get some updated ones and post again. (fi you want to see what it was like before (18' hole in the house) go to the "Tear Down to Build Up posts).

Edited by laughing lioness