Menu

The Middle Ages and The Decemberists

We are currently spending our days in Medieval times with chivalrous and depraved knights, virtuous and undone maidens, saintly and cynical clerics and their supporting casts. So the Decemberists' delightful album, Hazards of Love was perfect listening music for making quiche this evening. If you enjoy stretching your literature studies and want to extend it how to the Middle Ages can influence even contemporary alternative music, check it out. DD and I had to buy the album so we could hear the entire story. Here is The Rake's Song and here are the lyrics. Appalling...and appealing. The whole thing reminds me of the parts in Once and Future King with regards to Morguese's sons.

ETA: Warning - the music can be both very melodic and very driving in an punk fashion. The entire album tells a story similar to a medieval epic. It reads a bit like the worse parts of the King Arthur legend. Still, I think it is well done for certain audiences.

Edited by swimmermom3

I can't keep up with you, Lisa! I listened to a smidgen on YouTube, but will try to find the whole album at the library. (Ever since Kareni tracked down a book for me at my very own library, through inter-library loan, I'm all about the library, and ILL. ;) )

PS: Did you know that the Decemberists are performing this week in your neck of the woods? I have a friend who is a musician and has been posting on Facebook about this. Go see them!

Edited by Nicole M

I can't keep up with you, Lisa! I listened to a smidgen on YouTube, but will try to find the whole album at the library. (Ever since Kareni tracked down a book for me at my very own library, through inter-library loan, I'm all about the library, and ILL. ;) )

PS: Did you know that the Decemberists are performing this week in your neck of the woods? I have a friend who is a musician and has been posting on Facebook about this. Go see them!

I know they are going to be here in February, but right NOW? Of course, they are from my neck of the woods.:D I won't vouch for their other albums, but I admit to enjoying the Hazards of Love for its music and its lyrics.

:blink: Wow.

I'm going to run a few searches on YouTube... the lyrics have peeked by curiousity.

So much so that I cannot type :lol: MY curiousity.

Can you tell that I used to sell advertising and that several of my clients were music promoters?:D The Decemberists really bounce around in their interests and style but overall they are competent vocalists and musicians as well as having a way with words. On the first album I linked, you can listen to songs individually but it is best to hear the whole album because it is a story complete with prologue. If I remember right from when I played with the idea a year ago, you could even use a story chart on it.

I know they are going to be here in February, but right NOW? Of course, they are from my neck of the woods.:D I won't vouch for their other albums, but I admit to enjoying the Hazards of Love for its music and its lyrics.

Whoops. I misread. (Actually, you'll love this: my friend has been performing this week, or maybe last, with Pink Martini, and somehow that got confused in my mind with the Decemberists.) You're right. February. You have like three whole weeks to get your tickets. :D

Can you tell that I used to sell advertising and that several of my clients were music promoters?:D The Decemberists really bounce around in their interests and style but overall they are competent vocalists and musicians as well as having a way with words. On the first album I linked, you can listen to songs individually but it is best to hear the whole album because it is a story complete with prologue. If I remember right from when I played with the idea a year ago, you could even use a story chart on it.

I think I'm buying the MP3 album. You got me :p