Menu

Books on Isaac Newton for kids??

Homemama2

I bought Elemental Physical Science for next year and it looks great. They will need to read a book on Issac Newton, but I don't think I want to go with the choices offered. The 'christian' option seems to be a graphic novel (someone please correct me if I'm wrong!!) and I'd rather have an actual book instead of a comic book format. I thought I'd see if anyone had a great book to recommend (for a 2nd and 4th grader).

If not, they have other scientists to choose from, so I'm not worried:001_smile:

I found this one at a used book store. I haven't read it yet, but after looking through it I like it. There's a timeline, glossary and index in the back. There are 7 chapters, but it is picture book style with lots of pictures.

Here it is at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Isaac-Newton-Gravity-Science-Discoveries/dp/0791030105/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1294963990&sr=1-5

I don't have this one, but I have looked at it before:

http://www.amazon.com/Isaac-Newton-Physics-Kids-Activities/dp/1556527780/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1294964328&sr=1-1

Edited by Kfamily

I bought Elemental Physical Science for next year and it looks great. They will need to read a book on Issac Newton, but I don't think I want to go with the choices offered. The 'christian' option seems to be a graphic novel (someone please correct me if I'm wrong!!) and I'd rather have an actual book instead of a comic book format. I thought I'd see if anyone had a great book to recommend (for a 2nd and 4th grader).

If not, they have other scientists to choose from, so I'm not worried:001_smile:

I have the book that ES recommends, and it is a graphic novel (just confirming your suspicion :001_smile:)

Stay away from the Kathleen Krull book CHapter 9 which suggested that Newton lived an alternative lifestyle. A lifestyle which in no way conformed to a Biblical pattern. I read a review of the book before I got to that chapter in a family read aloud session and we skipped that one last year while working thru Elemental Science's Grammar Chemistry. The program is wonderful, but the Krull book not completely perfect.