Menu

Let us talk about Write Shop in detail - I need your help.

ChrissySC

We have moved beyond the basic sentence construction, as finally she has a predicatable outcome when asked to write a sentence. As time goes by, the sentence will look better as the parts of speech are learned and diagramming improves.

However, the idea of structuring a formal paragraph is something that I noticed is not improving. Write with the Best is a fantastic program for a child that can manage paragraph development, which is where dd is lacking the process and development.

So, as I am searching for a program/workbook that will lead the child to a paragraph much as a horse is led to water, I would like to look at Write Shop.

Please explain to me how this program begins. I would more than likely start with Workbook A and move through quickly to begin developing the "I can do it" mentality and stop the self-defeating or the feeling that this is something beyond her, "I can't do this."

I would like to know what types of visual aids or activities you found in the workbooks helped to shine the light.

I would also like to know if anyone has used this through all levels, and if not, how did you find the junior or high school levels at teaching your children to write.

If you changed from Write Shop, what program did you go to and why? What was it that made you change?

Of Note: I do want to say that WwtB is fantastic for children who have begun to develop a paragraph and write sentences well. It incorporates how to enrich your paragraph with descriptive words in several areas of writing. Also, it includes copywork and dictation, something that we all love. If you would like to know more, I would be happy to answer questions on this as well. PM me.

I am using the WS primary levels at the moment- completed A and are into B but I don't feel that I'm qualified to answer all your questions.

Are you asking for your dd10 or dd4? If it's for dd10, I would *not* start in Primary A. In fact, I think you could jump straight into the regular WS. My 6yo did Primary A in a very short time and it was too easy for her (grade 1). It would be really, really boring and tedious for a 10yo IMO.

I was asking about this today. I have WriteShop A for my 2nd grader. I don't think I would start my 10 year old with this. We are using Meaningful Composition 4+ at the moment. I like that it is step by step, and it explains in detail each part of a paragraph. I would prefer a little more room to choose different topics for writing which is why I am looking for something else.

I am starting HOD CTC next week which schedules Write with the Best. I am torn between using Write with the Best and WriteShop. I would love to hear more about your experience with Write with the Best.

I noticed on WriteShop's blog that they are coming out with a level in between the primary series and WriteShop 1. I really wish they had samples of that because I have a feeling that would be the perfect level for my dd.

Janet

I taught WS to a class of 6th-8th graders at our co-op and we ALL loved it, even the students. :001_smile: If your DD10 is strong in sentence stucture and grammar, you could totally start her in level 1 of WS - no need to do the primary workbooks (although I am NOT familiar with them from experience, I just know they are geared toward younger elementary). It is SO user friendly. Really. SO much easier to implement than IEW but has some of the same components as IEW. I am an English teacher by training and LOVE researching language arts curriculum; I would not hesitate to use this with my DC when they get to about 5th, maybe 6th grade. HTH! :001_smile:

I think the one thing that Write with the Best needed was a level write before volume 1. Now, because we had removed dd from ps - I always send my dd's a couple of years - her language arts studies fell short. So, for this one, she is actually more or less a half to a full grade behind. I tend to look for items that fall on advanced third grade level. We have made great strides. I purchased WWTB because of the little booklets that she would bring home to me. Yet, I was not aware that they were very guided. WWTB leaves a great deal of room for original writing, and we still need to hold a hand during a paragraph. She does understand the parts of the paragraph, which surprised me. It is the assembly that fails her. As I mentioned, her sentence structure is coming along wonderfully.

I am not done with WWTB. I love it. The whole idea of original and creative, descriptive too, writing covering a variety of styles was why I bought it in the first place. DD just did not have the understanding of parts of speech, adjectives and adverbs for example, to fully use and develop a style of her own.

Something to mention, everything is in that binder that you need. Story selections are fantastic. The days are all planned. How to evaluate, edit and proof, and so on. The rules for writing are clear. It just is not something we can use until we solve our little paragraph construction problem. :)

Do you feel WS would solve this "construction" problem? I do not think it would take her long to figure it out. However, do you think that WS would be a good companion to WWTB too?

Write Shop will be different from WWTB in that it "prescribes" the kind of writing your student will do. I don't have the curriculum here, so can't be specific, but for example: there is a unit on "description" and she would describe a person, a place, an animal, and something else (object?!), so 4 different writing assignments that work on describing. There are checklists of things that need to be included, exercises (separate from the writing itself) to help with writing techniques/grammar usage/etc. It is pretty "academic" rather than creative, if that makes sense? The students are working more on elements of writing and a little bit of writing style rather than coming up with creative, original work. They also work on organization, expository writing, persuasive writing, things like that. Sorry I can't be specific without the curriculum in front of me! HTH. :001_smile: