Menu

Delaying Graduation

I was reading the thread on graduation ages on the High School board and when I read the post about the person who would be 21 when they graduated it got me to thinking. My dh homeschools our two youngest boys (ages 15 and 13) who are both somewhat academically and emotionally delayed. I have feared their education would be limited because they wouldn't have enough time by graduation age to catch up to 12th grade level. The thought that graduation could be delayed a couple of years is a hopeful thought to me. I never gave much thought to the possibility of just continuing their education until they caught up. What do you think about this? What experiences have you had with this?

My one son won't leave school until he is 22 - he turns 21in Sept. and by law they have to keep him the entire year. But he is NOT in homeschool - he goes to a private school for autism/Downs etc. After graduation he will not be continuing any education - kid can not even read :-(

A less mentally-disabled kid, one who has the potential to possibly continue with college and get a job and a life - I still think it would be ok to not finish high school until 19, 20, etc. Community colleges do not care how old you are - and doing well enough there can lead to entrance to a four-year college, if that is the plan. It is more important to make sure the kid can READ and do MATH and be ready and able to move on to adult life than stick to any arbitrary age for graduation from high school. Just my two cents. :001_smile:

:thumbup:I think that's a wonderful plan.

Our local college has lots of people who started there after 21. My neice is 34 and has just started college. She's not even the oldest person in her class.

Our local college also has a bunch of 18 year olds who are taking remedial classes. In essence they are paying to extend their high school education. They were sent out of high school and were not prepared to with any real education.

So why not wait and make sure your sons are ready? It makes sense to me.