Menu

Question about BJU Science

susankenny

If we have never done a formal science curriculum & I wanted to use BJU, would I still start my child off in the level they would be in according to their age/grade? FWIW, my children are 7 & 9. I'd love to do something with them both. I was considering using BJU Grade 3 with them (they'll be in grades 2 & 4). Is something like this doable with BJU, or should I look for another curriculum that isn't grade specific. Thanks for your thoughts.

Susan

It is a classroom curriculum, and therefore is made to accomodate a wide range of children.

I used it for a number of years by having mine answer the questions orally and then sending the older one off to record them. I used the level of the older one for both.

Thank you! I have never used a science curriculum with my oldest child though, so will she be lost or miss a lot of information by starting her in the 4th grade book??? I was thinking the 3rd grade book would be better, as she hasn't had real exposure outside of TV shows & simple science books (Let's Read & Find Out About, Magic Schoolbus, etc).

Thanks again,

Susan

The only thing that I noticed in the S&S was the way that some topics were developed, but I do not think you would have a problem. Body systems would be an example. In the third grade it is cells, tissues, organs, and skin, but in the next grade it is digestion, bones and muscles. In third you study warm blodded and cold blooded animals, but in the fourth it is living things, insects, and spiders.

There is a development and progression to each study. It is like taking all four years of the classical study and spreading them in chunks across a number of years.

I have considered making the move myself. We ended up going with a REAL Science Odyssey, which was an excellent fit for this year, but I am afraid we need something that explains a topic in further detail without needing to run to the library or search for videos too.