Menu

Math UGH!!!!!

mnllj7

I am planning our next years school, you know searching out what we want, saving the money, and on and on we go.

However, my daughter is TERRIBLE in math. she will be in 6th grade. What are some suggestions? I need some good advise. Thanks in advance. nancyt.

It would be helpful to know what you have used so far.

Have you ever read any of Cathy Duffy's books? She helps you to determine your child's learning style, then suggests curriculum based on that learning style. I think her 4 styles are: Perfect Paula, Competent Carl, Wiggly Willy, and Sociable Sue. It would be helpful to know more about your dd.

Thank you for responding, I would say my daughter is a cross between sociable and wiggly. I would also say it would be in

that order. nancyt.

And what have you tried so far?

Because she is sociable, it may be helpful to choose something that forces you to be involved a lot, since she would enjoy working with someone else instead of on her own. Because she is wiggly, something hands-on would be helpful. That combination sounds like Right Start to me, due to the abacus and games and teacher involvement. OTOH, I have no idea how starting Right Start in the 6th grade would work.

I am also not up-to-date on the newer math programs that I see on the board (Math Mammoth, Russian Math, CLE to name a few). Cathy Duffy's book may be more helpful than me.

If she needs a review of all math, you might look at Lial's Basic College Math. It has clear directions and lots of problems sets to practice with. She writes community college texts for non-math people, so don't let the college part scare you too much. I have my 7th grader working through it now. I would recommend you teach it, but the book walks through the problems, so you can just do those on a white board.

If she needs just to review specific areas you might post what those are.

We like Math Mammoth light blue and Christian Light Education math. If your dd needs math basics, buy the complete package of MM and start her in level 1. I've been doing sections of each level in MM with my 5th grade dd. I skip stuff she knows and work on things that are shaky or unknown. Her math understanding (and mine, too, honestly) has greatly improved. We started coin this in November with level 1A and are now in level 2B. I went back to level 1 after we tried level 4. She could do some of level 4, but she kept getting stuck. I am so very, very glad I decided to go back to level 1. :)

CLE is also a good program, but it would be more difficult to accelerate it if she is currently working below grade level.

• 2 weeks later...