Menu

For those who use Singapore then switch to Saxon 5/4

mom2agang

Since nobody's come up with an answer...there is a placement quiz on Saxon's website. I would look that over. Those are the things your kid should know before taking the course. We switched ds10 after a brief foray into Singapore 4B to get him the basics of decimals...he went into 7/6 and so far so good. We are on lesson 38.

He had passed the 7/6 placement quiz easily but he also took the 6/5 quiz and the things he missed were decimals (though he still passed). So we spent a couple of weeks on them before going into 7/6. Brownie

Since nobody's come up with an answer...there is a placement quiz on Saxon's website. I would look that over. Those are the things your kid should know before taking the course. We switched ds10 after a brief foray into Singapore 4B to get him the basics of decimals...he went into 7/6 and so far so good. We are on lesson 38.

I looked at the placement quiz a few days ago, but it didn't seem clear for 5/4. There is the test to place into k-3. And there's the test for upper grades. But if you miss too many, it shows that you aren't ready for 6/5. But how do you know you ARE ready for 5/4?

As to why people switch... I use multiple math programs. All of them are time consuming. I'm considering switching to Saxon, with DIVE cd's, as my 2nd program.

After trying a couple of math programs I love Saxon math. My kids also like Saxon math. I do Saxon math from 54 and up with the DIVE DVD. It helps a lot with just freeing me up. I also do Life of Fred math along with Saxon math. I personally believe my math program for my family is a solid one. Why am I switching? Personally I don't care for Saxon K-3. Singapore is a perfect fit for my kids that are K-3. I enjoy the short lessons. And it teaches the basics with out over kill. But to continue on in Singapore math would be a lot of work. I have almost 11 kids. They are all 13 and under ( no twins) So the teaching time alone turned me away. I have nothing bad to say about Singapore math. But the independence the DIVE DVD and Saxon gives me is why I switch.

I don't know if this helps but my dd went from the middle of MM 3b into 5/4. We went over a couple of concepts from the first part of the book to get the terminology but started in earnest around lesson 40. A lot of what she's doing now is still review but I wanted her to have a solid foundation. VP uses Saxon as a third grade text so I'd say if your dc did well in SM 2b, they could probably go straight into 5/4.

Also, just throwing this out there... Dr. Robinson of the Robinson Curriculum starts his kids directly in 5/4 once they know their math facts (all four operations). They don't do any other formal math before 5/4.