Menu

Faust??

My adult nephew was over the other night, and we were discussing the literature my 10th grader is reading. Nephew was quite impressed. Turns out he has read umpteen translations of Faust during college and for fun the way my son has done with Homer, and was curious what translations of Faust my ds would read.

So, I go grab my WEM, but can't find it anywhere. :( I didn't see it in WTM either.) Did I miss it? As I haven't read this yet, is there a good source for a description of the story and the translations similar to WEM? I know the basic story plot- guy makes deal with devil for his soul, etc. but that's about it. My son is interested in reading this and talking about it with his cousin, and my nephew threw out so many translations I have no idea where to start,other than to trust him to hand ds a copy.

Anyone have suggestions for me?

Since no one has posted on this

Invitation to the Classics recommends either Walter Arndt (Norton Critical Edition, 1976) or Walter Kaufmann (Doubleday Anchor, 1961)

DD read and enjoyed the Christopher Marlowe play, The Tragical History of Doctor Faustus, but has not yet read Goethe's version.

HTH

Thank you Moira and Janie! I didn't expect it to not be in WEM, and I realize I really rely heavily on this book- if my nephew hadn't reminded me, I wouldn't have remembered it. There are so many books I haven't read, you know? But as soon as it was mentioned, my son piped up with how much he was actually looking forward to this assigned book, lol.

So glad I have you gals to help me out and make it look like I know what I am doing.

By the way, any thoughts on why this one isn't in WEM? I have to admit I made an assumption that "all the important books" would be there, though I realize that is a very subjective comment. Just makes me wonder if there are more amazing classics that we are missing- my kid loves to read them.