Menu

TOG users: LLC - Anyone tried their classes?

I've been searching and can't find any posts or reviews of the new classes offered through Lampstand Learning Center. Anyone have any experience with them? If so what do you think of them? Anyone?

My 7th grade daughter is taking the Year 3 Bridge Literature class. She loves it - a chance to have outside feedback, discussions with other kids, and even a little goofing around time with them, too. I've been impressed with her contributions (I hear them sometimes as I'm running laundry from one side of the house to another), and she is getting an A. The books are a mixture of Dialectic & Rhetoric, which is right where she needs to be.

In short, she definitely wants to take another LLC class next year. A hit!

My 7th grade daughter is taking the Year 3 Bridge Literature class. She loves it - a chance to have outside feedback, discussions with other kids, and even a little goofing around time with them, too. I've been impressed with her contributions (I hear them sometimes as I'm running laundry from one side of the house to another), and she is getting an A. The books are a mixture of Dialectic & Rhetoric, which is right where she needs to be.

In short, she definitely wants to take another LLC class next year. A hit!

Thank you! This is good news and bad. Great that it would be an option, not so great that I need to come up with the $$

Can I ask, what were the assignments like? Just wondering if my 8th grade Ds could handle it next year.

Shannon

Thank you! This is good news and bad. Great that it would be an option, not so great that I need to come up with the $$

Can I ask, what were the assignments like? Just wondering if my 8th grade Ds could handle it next year.

Shannon

In addition to reading the books, they usually have assignments such as: taking quotes from books that show worldview, filling out a plot chart, completing a character analysis, writing up an author information sheet, and filling out a character sheet. Right before Christmas they did a Power Point presentation on certain books (each presented individually), using terms & aspects from previous lessons.

I would say my dd spends an average of 3-4 hours a week on the course - ninety minutes for the class itself, and the balance of time on assignments. I really like the fact that she has a group of people to discuss the literature with, as that is a downfall of my teaching (I love to read, but I'm not too good at discussions).

Thank you, Elinor. Your post is very helpful. Sounds like it would work for us, and my Ds seems to like the idea of taking one of their classes. Now I'll just have to wait and see what they offer for next fall.

Anyone else have experience with LLC?

Shannon

• 2 years later...

We have used LLC for three years with mixed results. Y1 rhetoric was great for my dd 9th grader - great teacher and the right amount of challenge for a young high schooler. Y2 was considerably less inspiring for dd. Our experience wth the "lite' literature (9th grade ds) is underwhelming. Not nearly enough challenge.

I am using it with my 6th grade dialectic student. I like that he is making some neat connections with the material and is learning through his class. I feel like the work load is not heavy at all for him, but I appreciate the discussions they have and hearing his well thought out answers that he gives during class. We'll be doing another class in the fall.

Beth