Menu

Anybody's child do cup stacking?

robsiew

We just got Rylan stacking cups (and a timer mat just came for him today). He LOVES them! There are no clubs around here though and I'm thinking about starting one. Does anybody belong to one? How is it set up? What does the time together look like? I'd love to get something started here...

My 5th grader is a rubik's cube nut and will be attending his second competition next week. I am sitting in the car at baseball practice right now, but ds said he'd email me some info. I think they are run similarly; the speedcubing competitions use the speed stacking mats and timers, so there is some kind of overlap. I'll add the links ds sends me!

ETA: ds sent a link to the main speedstack site that u probably have.

He also sent a link to worldsportstackingassociation.org. I cannot figure out how to copy and paste on my phone. Sorry. Ds also goes on forums and YouTube for info and events. Maybe u can do a search...

Edited by lisabees

My 5th grader is a rubik's cube nut and will be attending his second competition next week. I am sitting in the car at baseball practice right now, but ds said he'd email me some info. I think they are run similarly; the speedcubing competitions use the speed stacking mats and timers, so there is some kind of overlap. I'll add the links ds sends me!

ETA: ds sent a link to the main speedstack site that u probably have.

He also sent a link to worldsportstackingassociation.org. I cannot figure out how to copy and paste on my phone. Sorry. Ds also goes on forums and YouTube for info and events. Maybe u can do a search...

Thanks! I have gone out to the main website, but there are no clubs for our town, nor is there anything close. Not even competitions... I'll do some more searching for the closest competition, but I think at this point I'd be interested in starting a club... I'd be very interested in the info your ds has on his club! We are a pretty major city so I'm surprised there is nothing here.

You might want to contact private schools. My DD's school last year had a team, and I think they allowed homeschoolers with an affiliation with the church to participate, just like they do for other extracurricular activities.

Good idea! Thanks!

Last year I found the cups, timer, mat and a dvd at a thrift store. My daughter is 7 and really loves it (although....she can get very frustrated too). I am having fun learning it too. Same thing here....no groups or competitions anywhere around us either. :sad: I wish we lived in the same town; but I doubt it (NW WI).

Last year I found the cups, timer, mat and a dvd at a thrift store. My daughter is 7 and really loves it (although....she can get very frustrated too). I am having fun learning it too. Same thing here....no groups or competitions anywhere around us either. :sad: I wish we lived in the same town; but I doubt it (NW WI).

Well, we're close, but not close enough! (So. MN) My dad lives in Woodville... near Baldwin though!

WTG finding all of that used! It was a pretty penny for that silly mat... but without the mat it's really hard to time yourself! That's what motivates my ds.

Here is the official website.

And

is a youtube video showing someone doing cup stacking

If you do a search on "cup stacking" on youtube you'll find a ton of things.

Thank you for the links. I have to admit I'm a bit lazy this morning, as I'm still on my first cuppa. That youtube video is wild! I'll also sheepishly admit that when I read "cup stacking" I had in mind someone stacking nice china tea cups without breaking them. I was so off the mark! :laugh:

Thank you for the links. I have to admit I'm a bit lazy this morning, as I'm still on my first cuppa. That youtube video is wild! I'll also sheepishly admit that when I read "cup stacking" I had in mind someone stacking nice china tea cups without breaking them. I was so off the mark! :laugh:

:lol::lol::lol:

I had never heard of it either until someone's child brought their set to church. My ds didn't even see it, but I knew when I investigated a little more this was perfect for my ds. The rest of the kids are interested too, but my 7 y/o is the one who is really actually quite good even though he just started.

BTW... as a side note... for anyone who has a child that needs "breaks" before doing sit down work... these work great! I give my son 5 min. at a time and it gets some of that energy out before he needs to concentrate.

:lol: No...you're thinking of a different sport; Tea Cup Stacking. :tongue_smilie:

Well, we're close, but not close enough! (So. MN) My dad lives in Woodville... near Baldwin though!

WTG finding all of that used! It was a pretty penny for that silly mat... but without the mat it's really hard to time yourself! That's what motivates my ds.

Oh come on! Rats! That is close but not close enough.

I'm still pretty thrilled that I found all that...and for only $3 (I don't think the thrift store had a clue what it even was!). Did you get your son a set with an instructional dvd? This is what we have: Speed Stacks. If you go to the Shop, our set is similar to the green glow in the dark one, but ours are pink (hmmm....I don't think they glow in the dark though). I think the DVD is pretty good. I'm learning this too, btw. It's lots of fun! I need to be careful though because I'm a lot better than my daughter. I mean....I'm not bragging. It's just I'm obviously more coordinated than a 7 year old. So, she can get annoyed if she fails at her attempt and I get it right (or close to right :001_smile:). I really, really, really wish my daughter could be a part of those competitions; they look like so much fun.

:lol: No...you're thinking of a different sport; Tea Cup Stacking. :tongue_smilie:

I'm still pretty thrilled that I found all that...and for only $3 (I don't think the thrift store had a clue what it even was!).

Okay, this stuff is going on my thrift store radar. I highly doubt I'd find a set though, as it would only be available if someone (like me :D) had their sports a little mixed up, and meant to get the Tea Cups! :lol: