Menu

Need Grammar Suggestion.

Guest 7bergens

Well, I guess it depends upon your goals/type of work you're looking for.

I am making the jump to MCT for my 3 oldest (my younger 2 will be 5 and 2 next year, so I don't have to worry about them).

I like the way MCT will be a complete, steady "review" of grammar all year long, looking a sentence during a session, vs. working on pieces throughout the year. All I can claim at this point is a near-convert, because we haven't actually started the program yet.

However, other people here also really like Rod & Staff (non-consumable) Abeka (workbook), BJU, Analytical Grammar, Easy Grammar... oh, the grammar lists go on and on.

If I wasn't making the jump to MCT, I would be using Abeka because of the workbook format works for my children.

MCT is Michael Clay Thompson's language arts program. Be forewarned that it is very different from FLL. It is "meaty" IF you use all the books together (grammar + practice + writing) but the organization leaves much to be desired IMHO. It's not like FLL where the topics are logically arranged and everything pertaining to a given topic is in one place. It reminds me of my DH's old ADD boss- jumping from one topic to the next and then circling around later to the first one without any apparent rhyme or reason.

The biggest pro of MCT is that it has a wonderful "story" format that is very engaging to students. Also, the vocabulary and poetry books are excellent. I am glad I decided to give it a try even if the way he chose to organize it absolutely drives me batty.

I went to Growing with Grammar. It is meant to be used by the student but I use the student text as my teaching book. We also keep our FLL4 book out and I review the rules and definitions a couple times a week.

Mostly, I am just waiting for SWB to publish that middle ages writing and and grammar program. Maybe next year?

We used Analytical Grammar in 6th-7th-8th grade. You may read my review here. They also offer Junior Analytical Grammar for 4th or 5th grade. There are videos at the website that do a nice job of explaining the programs.

I've heard good things about all the programs mentioned so far in this thread, so you have plenty to choose from.

Good luck!

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

We've used Shurley English Levels 3 - 7, Analytical Grammar (most of season 1) and started MCT a couple of months ago. I liked Shurley English and my kids thought it was fine (meaning they didn't love it but didn't hate it;)). It ends at 7th grade and I wanted to continue grammar (especially since it had just introduced things like clauses, verbals, etc in Level 7) so we tried Analytical Grammar. I wanted to like AG (really I did) but it was a bomb. It was driving me nuts and my kids hated it. We are loving MCT! Even in the lower levels (we had to remediate) it's covering things like clauses, verbals, verbal phrases, appositive phrases, etc that Shurley didn't get to until Level 7. My plan with my younger children is to use MCT all the way through.

We loved the detail of Island MCT. I agree that it introduces a lot in a fun way at an early age. I recently bought Town Level and it looks similarly engaging. My daughter is returning to school so if anyone wants a significantly discounted town level (all student books (Paragraph Town,Grammar Town, Building Poems, Caesar's English, Practice Town) plus Teacher Manual for Practice Town, let me know.

I went directly into Growing with Grammar 5 for my older son and for my younger son. They both enjoyed this program and it is soooo user friendly. The child can do this independently.

However, I am currently doing Rod and Staff with my older son. It is outstanding. It is similar to Growing with Grammar only there is much more depth to Rod & Staff than GWG. I like them both, but I tilt a little more towards Rod & Staff. Each has their benefits.

Blessings in your homeschooling journey!

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

We are using Rod and Staff as well. I like the flexibility of the program. It can be done completely orally, partially oral and partially written, you can use the tm and follow the scripted lesson or you can read the objective and teach the lesson with your own method. You can teach a lesson, go over examples and then let your dc complete the written portions as seat work or you could sit with your child and do the whole lesson together on a whiteboard.

My two oldest do the books pretty much on their own. I go over the objective for the lesson, do the scripted oral review of past concepts and then they read the lesson from their student books and go on to do whatever written practice and review I have assigned. They also check each others work using the tm so their is very little involvement from me unless someone doesn't understand something.

You can also purchase workbooks that will cover topics that your dc might need more practice with and then there is also the test booklet. We haven't felt the need to use the workbook pages because there is more than enough practice with each lesson plus there are review chapters within each unit.

I held off using this program in the past because of its heavy Christian content but I have to say that we don't even notice it anymore. We plan to use through the 8th grade level and then will switch to a high school lit program for high school. I believe the consensus is that working through the 8th grade level more than prepares students for high school. I have even read off some using the 7th and 8th grade levels as their high school courses.

That may be way more info than you wanted or needed. :tongue_smilie: Hope you find what you are looking for!