Menu

Weight loss---anyone make small goals for each week to progress?

I got on a scale today. Between the holidays and having an ankle injury that prevented me from walking my normal 3-4 times a week it is not pretty.

My goal for the year is a modest 20 pounds. I could lose 50 and still have more to go but being reasonable, I think that if I could lose 20 this year then I can continue to work on down. If I made a goal of 50 pounds I likely will get discouraged and just give up.

What I am thinking of doing is making 1 small change a week and then keeping that up while adding another one. Just making a radical change isn't going to work---I know myself too well.

I was thinking of things like:

1. Only 1 pop a week (I am a huge pop drinker and can't tolerate diet AT ALL)

2. drink 2 large glasses of water a day (then work up to more over time)

3. Get to the YMCA at least 1 time a week.

4. Do an exercise DVD 3 days a week.

5. Get back to walking as soon as the physical therapist OKs it ((I am desperately trying to avoid major ankle surgery which would lay me up for 4 months minimum)

6. increase veggies

7. Add some weight training

8. Get horseback riding more .......I need to find a horse for me

9. Take the intro class at the Y to learn to use the equipment--then get started

These aren't in a specific order but my idea was to say that this week I will cut out all pop and just do what I can in the other areas. Then next week I will stick with the only 1 pop a week thing and start the weight training. The 3rd week I would stay with the only 1 pop, keep working with the weights and increase my veggies.

So, basically slowly making some changes that will increase my health and exercise and lead to weight loss but not be too overwhelming.

We will be taking 2 big trips this year as my girls have each been granted a Make A Wish Trip==one to Disney in March and one to Discovery Cove and Sea World in September. Those might just be free weeks---do what I can but NOT worry about it too much.

Has anyone else had success doing something like this? I have thought of Weight Watchers but it is expensive (we already pay a Y membership) and we are rural so it is quite a drive. I do have the older points system and know how to use that and could do it on my own (maybe that could be one of my weeks to start that).

Any help/encouragement/desire to join me?????

This sounds so much like the strategy in their "Fast Break" step:

http://www.sparkpeople.com/myspark/stage_1overview.asp

My weight is UP since the beginning of December, too. :glare:

The 3 I've picked for this week are:

1. Eat at least 2 fresh fruit/vegetables each day.

2. Drink 8 glasses of water (my 64 oz bottle is filled and ready).

3. Exercise at least 30 min 5 or more times this week (3 days of C25K training and some flexibility in my choices for the other days).

I do weigh every morning, but I've decided to focus on healthy action steps instead of focusing on the scale. Even if the scale number isn't what I'd like, I CAN increase my nutrition and energy.

Keep us posted on your progress!

I think mini goals are they key to success. I have already lost 60 pounds and I began slowly and with little goals. I have 50 left and I aleady changed all my diet and exercise so I now have mini weight goals to hit and a rewaard system for them.

I think what you have laid out sounds great. I just wrote em on my calendar

Do you have any other ideas for mini goals?

This week will be the no pop one. I would just like to write out a list of at least 20 different things and then each week pick one to add to my routine--be it diet related or exercise related.

I had lost about 70 pounds and now have gained 20 of it back and it needs to GO.

I think you are definitely on the right track: change behaviour and habit, results WILL follow.

Just a couple of thoughts, FWIW.

1. A new goal EVERY week *might* become overwhelming. Weeks seem to go by at a quick clip. Some other options: rethink the speed of introducing new goals; consider allowing yourself to drop some goals after a period of time if they arent as helpful as their effort to maintain requires; alternate diet goals with exercise goals.

Personally, my vote is for a slower pace of introduction of goals because a bit more time might allow the new behaviours to become new habits and will require less active thinking on your part...

2. Some helpful habits/behaviours that I strive for that I didn't see mentioned:

a. No snacking (I absolutely love my 3 good meals a day and snacking takes the edge off my enjoyment).

b. Plate division at meal times: 1/4 protein, 1/4 grain, 1/2 veggies and fruits

c. Enjoy holidays and special occasions. We have a mini-feast every Sunday. I just make sure I don't overeat. I didn't get fat from occasional splurges but from everyday overeating.

d. Buy and wear a pedometer and try to increase your daily movement (non-exercise) related. There are a number of fascinating articles that underscore that active living (cooking, gardening, scrubbing the floor, folding the laundry, using manual tools instead of electric) has many longterm health benefits that 30 min exercise/3x/week does not. (Note: the 30 min routine has different benefits... My point--do both).

e. Never eat standing up or on the go.

f. Keep cooking "tastes" to a minimum. I read in a nutrition book that every mindless bite we take in meal prep/clean up (the heel of bread, slice of cheese, last ladleful of soup, etc) adds, on average, 25 calories. That is 25 calories PER BITE. When I knocked out the routine meal-prep nibbling (of healthy foods), I probably knocked off 500 calories a day and the scale moved accordingly! :-)

g. Don't eat directly from bags, boxes, bowls, pots. Instead, put your meal (and snack if you go that route) on a plate, put the bags, boxes, ingredients away, and sit and enjoy your food.

h. Keep track of your calories for a week. I've found that keeping track of calories for a week every so often (like every six months) is helpful in keeping portion sizes under control. Online tools make this very easy. For me, tracking more than a week is a pain and I gain no further useful information.... The key is to be honest with yourself when tracking.

i. Try one new "healthy" recipe a week or month. I've found some winners at http://www.eatingwell.com The site is free and you can sign up for various newsletters that will highlight various food collections (eg. 10 great ways to prepare zucchini, or 300 Calorie chicken dinners, etc.). I normally don't sign up for stuff like this but needed an easy way to find healthy recipes. At that time I signed up at several "Healthy" sites and preferred EatingWelll's newsletter format and recipes BY FAR.

Anyway, congrats on the weightloss you've accomplished--enjoy THAT success, and may you find the lifestyle changes that will get you where you want to go.

HTH,

Edited by vmsurbat
forma issues

Maybe I should ad something every OTHER week. If I do it once a month, I think I might stagnate too soo. Some of the goals might just be increasing something I am already doing---going from 2 glasses a water a day to 4, or going from lifting weights once a week to twice a week type thing.

1. A new goal EVERY week *might* become overwhelming.

d. Buy and wear a pedometer and try to increase your daily movement (non-exercise) related. There are a number of fascinating articles that underscore that active living (cooking, gardening, scrubbing the floor, folding the laundry, using manual tools instead of electric) has many longterm health benefits that 30 min exercise/3x/week does not. (Note: the 30 min routine has different benefits... My point--do both).

This has been hard for me with my ankle. I was supposed to have more limited movement, not on it for more than 30 minutes at a time, ect. I am now allowed to walk up to 1/4 mile at a time if I can tolerate it. That is a far cry from the 2+ miles I was doing 3-5 times a week before this.

We have a mini farm so I am out doing chores 3 times a day already but I need MORE. Seems like scooping poop, tossing hay bales, carrying grain, etc. just isn't enough--or my body has become adjusted to it and now it isn't enough anymore

About two years ago or so, I lost lots of weight and jump started the whole process by setting mini-goals as well as rewards.

I marked my calendar in 6-week intervals and set myself goals such as the following (or what you already have, which are great tips, btw).

Work on one thing at a time. Change one thing at a time. Trying to change everything at once is a recipe for disaster. Change things a little at a time to create permanent new habits. You have to come up with something that is going to work for you individually. Everyone has different habits and challenges. I looked at my diet and bad habits and then I wrote them down. I prioritized my bad habit list from worst to least worst. Then I worked on each major issue for at least 6 weeks. They say that it takes 6 weeks for something to become a habit. I marked my calendar.

For example, a list might look like this.

Consuming sugar and HFCS

Eating when frustrated or trapped

No exercise

Not enough fiber

Eating after 8 PM

Not drinking enough water

Not enough vegetables in diet

Consuming dairy

Drinking soda

Going to bed too late

For me, sugar was and normally continues to be my major weight culprit. I have succeeded most when I limit it. Then I gradually worked on my other challenges.

Most of us cannot fix all these things in a day, a week, or even a month. After my first good habit was established, then I worked on the next and then the next.

You might try making a checklist for yourself of your daily goals.

Asking yourself the "hard/specific questions" and put it on your fridge.

Someone suggested the following:

M___Tues__Wed__Thur__Fri__S__Sun__(space for check marks)

Did you walk briskly 20 minutes today?

Did you drink 3 glasses of water at breakfast/lunch/dinner today?

Did you eat fiber today?

Did you reach for a healthy snack today?

Did you avoid high fat foods today?

Anyway, this helps some.

You need to decide how you will reward yourself in a healthful manner. I kept a l log of how many days I worked out and how many days I ate no sugar, for example (or whatever I was focusing on) and according to a certain number, I treated myself – to either a new fitness DVD, a facial, a massage, or a book. You can reward yourself with whatever makes you happy :D. I made a list of different rewards to keep me motivated each month. But don’t reward yourself with food! ;)

Just an update.

I have gone 1 1/2 weeks now with NO pop---and that is down from 2-3 cans a DAY on some days. I am allowing myself 1 pop a week--for things like pizza, special occassions, etc. but we didnt' have either last week so I didn't "waste" my pop on something non special.

I lost FIVE pounds though last week. I know that is the first week, jump start weight loss but it was nice to see.

This week I am maintaining the no pop thing and exercising and then next week I will add in a fitness goal. Then in another 2 weeks another eating goal, etc.

Just an update.

I have gone 1 1/2 weeks now with NO pop---and that is down from 2-3 cans a DAY on some days. I am allowing myself 1 pop a week--for things like pizza, special occassions, etc. but we didnt' have either last week so I didn't "waste" my pop on something non special.

I lost FIVE pounds though last week. I know that is the first week, jump start weight loss but it was nice to see.

This week I am maintaining the no pop thing and exercising and then next week I will add in a fitness goal. Then in another 2 weeks another eating goal, etc.

:hurray: :D

First of all, :party:congrats:party: to all who are making efforts to improve their health through diet and exercise.

It's a path that I never thought I would be on (after all, we all keep our 26-yo bodies forever, right?) but here I find myself - technically obese with 55-65 lbs. to lose (my 10 yo only weights 63 lbs.) :tongue_smilie:. My body fat is a whopping 41.7% (ewww!) and my BMI 31.4. Nice.

After almost 7 years of diet failure (I love to set myself to fail for some absurd reason), I discovered the NoS Diet and love it! I am following the principles and hope to lose weight each week. Period. My only goal is that when I step on the scale every Monday morning, that I weigh less than the week before. However long it takes me to get there, I am willing to continue.

I can't believe how sane I actually sound about all of this. So unlike me!

Thanks for posting about the NO S diet. I will have to look into that. I need something reasonable that is a LIFESTYLE that I can maintain for YEARS.

I won't do the fad diet stuff, the special meals that you pay a fortune for, the special drinks, etc. I just need to be able to eat regular foods.

How long have you been doing this?

I need to loose at least 25 pounds. I could easily loose 50 and still be OK. My goal isn't just the number on the scale but my overall health.

After almost 7 years of diet failure (I love to set myself to fail for some absurd reason), I discovered the NoS Diet and love it! !