Menu

Anyone who have child of disabled veterans attending college?

AnitaMcC

I am looking into what financial benefits are available for my children to attend college.

I am 100% disabled through the Veterans Affairs and from my understanding my children may qualify for the DEA (Dependent's Educational Assistance) program. It pays a monthly amount for up to 45 months (amount and how long depends on attendance status of full to 1/4 rate).

Wondering how this also affects the financial aid through FAFSA and how it works in general.

Also does anyone know how my disability compensation affects the income bracket for the FAFSA? The money I get from the VA is not taxable and I do not include it on my IRS filings. I don't even get a W2 or anything for it.

Thankyou for your help.

Check with your state's veteran's office. I know in California, for example, children of disabled veterans attend state schools tuition-free, regardless of income (my cousin, for example, whose father is a lawyer who makes a hefty six-figures a year but is also a disabled vet). If you fall under the new GI Bill, it, I believe, also makes provision for your children using it if that's what you want (which if you ask me is something they should have done quite a while back; for career military folks it's a major boon).

I found this program on the federal VA page: http://www.gibill.va.gov/pamphlets/CH35/CH35_Pamphlet_General.htm

The FAFSA no doubt spells out what is and is not countable income. Most likely, if it's not countable for taxes it's not countable for the FAFSA, either. I haven't filled one out in a while, though.