Menu

RC/EO for those interested in East/West dialogue

Interesting on so many levels. It is nice to see the list of differences, but it would be nice to look toward what we have in common. Why would the RCC have to change? Couldn't the RCC and the EO meet somewhere in the middle?

My first question would be about the "Use of Unleavened Bread." Why doesn't the EO use unleavened? Wouldn't Jesus have used unleavened bread at the Last Supper after all it was during passover? Right?

Interesting on so many levels. It is nice to see the list of differences, but it would be nice to look toward what we have in common. Why would the RCC have to change? Couldn't the RCC and the EO meet somewhere in the middle?

My first question would be about the "Use of Unleavened Bread." Why doesn't the EO use unleavened? Wouldn't Jesus have used unleavened bread at the Last Supper after all it was during passover? Right?

We used leavened bread because Jews and Gentiles are now together in the Church...during the feast of Pentacost, the Priest would wave a loaf of leavened and a loaf of unleavened bread.

On the first, he is pointing out things that the RC changed during and after the Schism. It would make sense that the request would be that things would go back to the way they were ;) (yes, that would be EO argument, and I know that the RC would have their reasons why not...so, I'm finding it educational to hear from both sides. I'm not in the debate, just reading...so please don't take any of this personally from me as an offense). You can look at peoples symbols to see when an EO is posting and when an RC is posting. There are some EO that aren't in full agreement with the OP though, so it will be an interesting thread.

We used leavened bread because Jews and Gentiles are now together in the Church...during the feast of Pentacost, the Priest would wave a loaf of leavened and a loaf of unleavened bread.

On the first, he is pointing out things that the RC changed during and after the Schism. It would make sense that the request would be that things would go back to the way they were ;) (yes, that would be EO argument, and I know that the RC would have their reasons why not...so, I'm finding it educational to hear from both sides. I'm not in the debate, just reading...so please don't take any of this personally from me as an offense). You can look at peoples symbols to see when an EO is posting and when an RC is posting. There are some EO that aren't in full agreement with the OP though, so it will be an interesting thread.

Oh, I don't take offense at all. I hope you didn't take offense to mine as well. I was just continuing in the same matter as the other thread. Honestly, I didn't read past the first post. I am not sure I want to give up more time to anothe thread.;) KWIM? The other one is becoming a part time job.:lol:

Oh, I don't take offense at all. I hope you didn't take offense to mine as well. I was just continuing in the same matter as the other thread. Honestly, I didn't read past the first post. I am not sure I want to give up more time to anothe thread.;) KWIM? The other one is becoming a part time job.:lol:

No, I wasn't offended :) I just didn't want to digress to debate here, kwim? I don't have the energy LOL! And yes, I totally know what you mean about another thread. I'm only going to be able to read a few posts at a time over there.

I tried reading it. I got to the third post in the thread and had to stop. Otherwise I'd spend the day asking you and/or Milovany to explain.

ETA: Okay, I read a bit further on the first page. It seems like this guy is trying to pick a fight rather than discuss how the two churches could come together as one again. Every post after his OP has been to defend the EO way and tell why RC is doing it wrong not find a compromise. I'm going to have to say away from it. Sorry.

I tried reading it. I got to the third post in the thread and had to stop. Otherwise I'd spend the day asking you and/or Milovany to explain.

ETA: Okay, I read a bit further on the first page. It seems like this guy is trying to pick a fight rather than discuss how the two churches could come together as one again. Every post after his OP has been to defend the EO way and tell why RC is doing it wrong not find a compromise. I'm going to have to say away from it. Sorry.

:iagree:with you with reguards to the OP posts, but others are posting with hearts towards compromise.

:iagree:with you with reguards to the OP posts, but others are posting with hearts towards compromise.

Exactly. There are plenty, EO/RC/and Anglican, I believe, that are disagreeing with parts of the OP's list. He went a bit overboard possibly (again, I'm not all in the know on every argument) just for the point of discussion.

Yeah, but I know me. His "opinion" already has my Irish up. I'd join that board just to blast the guy, then I'd get permanently banned and will have wasted valuable time and energy that I could have done something else with. Something that help me grow in some way.

Off to read my Lectio Divina.

Yeah, but I know me. His "opinion" already has my Irish up. I'd join that board just to blast the guy, then I'd get permanently banned and will have wasted valuable time and energy that I could have done something else with. Something that help me grow in some way.

Off to read my Lectio Divina.

:grouphug: I'm glad I'm not the only one that gets their Irish up ;)

IMy first question would be about the "Use of Unleavened Bread." Why doesn't the EO use unleavened? Wouldn't Jesus have used unleavened bread at the Last Supper after all it was during passover? Right?

To add to this, why would this small detail be an issue? Some Catholic rites use leavened bread, it isn't an issue of faith or doctrine.

http://www.christianforums.com/t7523940/

There is a discussion going on at Christian Forums. It's interesting and I'm in the middle of reading. Not through it yet, but thought maybe others would be interested as well...might learn something from both sides.

I think a lot of his points are small and nitpicky, and are due to issues of terminology and emphasis rather than true differences, such as his "sacrament/mysteries" point, and possibly also the "Assumption/Dormition" point.

That fact is argued against the OP by another EO in the thread. Some say it's cultural.

I see that, I'm reading through the thread. To share where I'm coming from, I'm a Catholic who more and more thinks like an Orthodox, and who has pondered converting at times. I tend to think that both sides have some valid points. I think there can be a legitimate diversity of theological understanding, that together form a whole, like the different ways of seeing the elephant in the parable. : ) On the other hand, the main issue is authority, particularly the authority of the papacy. I can't see how the Orthodox can accept the relatively recent innovations of universal jurisdiction or papal infallibility. Catholics are good at changing things while pretending they haven't changed at all, though, so maybe there's still hope there.