Menu

How much credit for college lab course?

DD just completed a dual enrollment physics course and lab at a local university. It is listed as a sophomore level physics for premed/nonphysical science student. The course was a three-hour lecture class and earned 3 college credits. The laboratory portion was a two-hour separate course worth 1 additional college credit. I had planned to give her one hour of high school credit for the course. Can I give her some additional credit for the lab course as well? (0.25?)

(Working on mid-year transcript for common ap, etc.)

Edited by Beebalm
omitted information

I highly recommend talking to someone at both the university AND the public high school admissions/transcript departments. I saw that you are in the state of LA, and so I tried to google search for you what the equivalence would be, but, the state of LA is complicated by the fact that dual enrollment of college classes can be partially paid for by the state, so all the paperwork focused on the money aspect, not on how much credit to award.

And, while years ago in most states, it used to be a pretty direct transfer that a 1 semester university or community college = 1 year of high school, that is not necessarily still the case. For example, in our state, the paperwork for a high school student doing dual enrollment clearly states that a 3-unit course at the local community college (CC) equals a 1 SEMESTER high school course for transcript purposes.

My understanding is that:

1.) because our state ranks so poorly in public education

2.) and because the public schools RECEIVE money for every student in a seat and doesn't want to lose high school students who could opt out of high school at age 16 and go to CC instead

that our state does a 1-for-1 HOUR count for classes -- even though the quality and quantity of material covered is at a college level rather than a high school level.

For example: our DS took a 4-unit Spanish class this past semester at the community college; the 4 hours/week instruction at the community college for 1 semester, only equals the 5 50-minute classes a week for 1 semester at public high school -- it no longer equals 1 YEAR of credit for the high school transcript, even though the CC class COVERED the amount of material in 1 semester that would have been covered in 1 YEAR at the high school. :(

You may find it possible to just list the science completely separately on the transcript, and not worry about counting it at all as high school credit -- just count it as straight up college-while-in-high school... BUT, again, I would suggest checking locally how your high schools count it on their transcripts, and go with that -- but DEFINITELY clearly mark it on your transcript that this was a COLLEGE course. And include a transcript from the university along with your own transcript whenever you need to send out a transcript.

Congrats to your DD on handling such an elite course so well! BEST of luck, warmly, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
fixed typos

credits I've given my dd for cc classes:

3 credit hours psychology = 0.5 high school credit

5 credit hours Japanese = 1 high school credit

3 credit hours drawing = 0.5 high school credit (but local ISD counts this as 1 high school credit)

3 credit hours digital imaging = 1 high school credit

3 credit hours English composition = 0.5 high school credit

3 credit hours statistics = 0.5 high school credit

4 credit hours physics with lab = 1 high school credit

4 credit hours chemistry with lab = 1 high school credit

In Florida, dual enrollment science class without a lab is worth 0.5 HS credits. With a lab (even if it is a separate lab) it is 1.0 HS credits. Your state might have an equivalency chart like Florida does.

Hope that helps.

My son just finished College Physics 1 (3 credit class, 1 credit lab). He is taking College Physics 2 this semester. I will probably just give him 2 credits. I had not considered giving him 2.5, but I might now that you brought it up. I don't really think it will matter in our case since he has been accepted to his 4 year college and 0.5 credit on the final transcript really won't make any difference.

Thanks for looking for the equivalency, LoriD, you're very kind. I know what you mean about La. and the emphasis on where the money comes from. I hunted a long time myself. Thanks also AngieW, cqmom, and MaryAlice for sharing your experiences. I'm trying to do everything 'correctly' for the commonap midyear report and probably am stressing too much about it. I'll contact the university next week for advice on what is standard here. This counselor part of homeschool is not my favorite:) Happy new year!