Menu

Thoughts on history cycle/sequence

mom31257

I'm trying to figure out a plan for the next several years with my ds. Here is what he's done and our situation.

K-Ancient history with big sister (MOH 1)

1st-Rest of world history, but loosely touched on major events (Usborne and library books)

2nd-American history in 1 year, plans by me

His big sister will be in 9th next year and MFW is the strong, front-runner for her history in high school. I would love to do Ancient history with him next year, too. I have Biblioplan here already(not all the books, just the lesson plans), along with several ancient history resources that would fit his age.

So...he'll have 6 years between now and starting high school. I hope that I like MFW enough to keep it for him, so he would start ancients in 9th grade again.

Should I just spread the 4 year cycle over the 6, or should I do a different sequence? I wouldn't mind a year of geography/world cultures in there somewhere. I would also love to focus on American history again sometime, even if it is spread out world to make more time for American during it.

I would appreciate any thoughts or ideas.

My plan with my current 4yo is nothing official for K-2nd. My older boys are will be doing a whole cycle from now to then, but I am not going to require history for him until 3rd.

Then my plans are a 5 year cycle- spreading out the last two into three years to add in extra American history and then a year of Geography in 8th. Some how I also have to fit my 2yo into that, but I think if she doesn't do any official history until 3rd also she could start with our three years that will focus on American and do geo in 6th.

Should I just spread the 4 year cycle over the 6, or should I do a different sequence? I wouldn't mind a year of geography/world cultures in there somewhere. I would also love to focus on American history again sometime, even if it is spread out world to make more time for American during it.

I would appreciate any thoughts or ideas.

I like this idea - especially since I can never finish a history cycle within one school year!

My plan with my current 4yo is nothing official for K-2nd. My older boys are will be doing a whole cycle from now to then, but I am not going to require history for him until 3rd.

Then my plans are a 5 year cycle- spreading out the last two into three years to add in extra American history and then a year of Geography in 8th. Some how I also have to fit my 2yo into that, but I think if she doesn't do any official history until 3rd also she could start with our three years that will focus on American and do geo in 6th.

Thanks! I do think I would like the sound of that. Are there any other ideas out there?

I also am dong nothing formal until 3rd grade.

3rd- homemade AM History and GEO/cultures

4th- homemade AM History and GEO/cultures

5th-8th we are doing a 4 year rotation starting with Ancients and adding in in depth American when we hit those points.

We are doign this because DD loves american history and has no interest in Ancients right now :) I feel one rotation of World will be just fine for us, and we will do more World in high school.

Here is what I have going on:

Oldest DS will do a "transition year" essentially reviewing Ancients through Modern Times next year, then going to Omnibus I-VI, for Omnibus I-III, we'll be using K12's Human Oddyssey series as our spine. We wll use SWB adult series (assuming it is all complete by then), along with Teaching Company lectures with Omnibus IV-VI.

DD 4th and DS 3rd will be focusing on Middle Ages, Rennaisance and Reformation (Veritas Press) next year, followed by explorers to 1815, and 1815 to Modern times in the next years (we will also use SOTW along side VP, as well as Streams of Civilization). At that point, my oldest DD will be ready for Omnibus, and do Omnibus I-VI. If DS is not ready for Omnibus, he will do a transition year (like oldest), and then Omnibus I-VI

DD K will not have any formal history until 2nd grade, when we will begin with VP Old Testament and Ancient Egypt. We will use SOTW along side the chants).

My youngest (who will be 2 next year) will be a Ker when my DD K starts history, so I will be including her with her older sister, and expect she'll do some other things in 5th and 6th grade (possibly a 2-year transition to Omnibus). But, I have awhile to figure that out ;D