Menu

ADD and/or sensory issues or a discipline problem or something else?

I am asking about my 12yo. This child is going to make me insane® if we don't get a handle on this.

Good grief. Never mind. As I read more articles, I am getting even more confused. Not only that, I now know what a psych tried to diagnose me as Bipolar when I was younger (when it was really ADD - the fact that my mood shifts happened several times a day should have been a clue.)

I think I will take him to the psych and let her figure it out.

Edited by Renee in FL

A couple of other notes:

He had a VT eval done a few years ago and the DO said he had fairly severe visual processing issues. I would agree with that (and he wasn't just trying to get me to do VT.)

The other thread about Executive Functioning made me look that up - EFD describes him perfectly - down to the inability to control his emotions and lack of self-awareness of how others perceive him. I had never looked at this before now, but I just saw another article that links ADD and EFD. It recommended meds while teaching the EF skills, with the end result being no meds.

I wish they would just make up their minds about what is what!:tongue_smilie:

Edited by Renee in FL

A couple of other notes:

The other thread about Executive Functioning made me look that up - EFD describes him perfectly - down to the inability to control his emotions and lack of self-awareness of how others perceive him. I had never looked at this before now, but I just saw another article that links ADD and EFD. It recommended meds while teaching the EF skills, with the end result being no meds.

I wish they would just make up their minds about what is what!:tongue_smilie:

This comment about EFD resounds alot with me regarding my oldest son, the executive functioning is probably one of his biggest issues, followed closely by attention problems and an inability to intuitively read others body language, expression and tone of voice. Those, along with his fixation on one topic of interest (for the past 7+ years) all contributed to his diagnosis of Asperger's. The way I feel about it is that labels are only so useful - in this case I went ahead and got the dx so that I would have this as a tool if I needed to ever put him back into public school/university so that he could qualify for accomodations and also, if needed, could opt out of military service (the idea of him in bootcamp right now is shudder-inducing).

Apologies in advance if my post makes no sense: the whole house has been sick this week and I'm coming down with it.

This comment about EFD resounds alot with me regarding my oldest son, the executive functioning is probably one of his biggest issues, followed closely by attention problems and an inability to intuitively read others body language, expression and tone of voice. Those, along with his fixation on one topic of interest (for the past 7+ years) all contributed to his diagnosis of Asperger's. The way I feel about it is that labels are only so useful - in this case I went ahead and got the dx so that I would have this as a tool if I needed to ever put him back into public school/university so that he could qualify for accomodations and also, if needed, could opt out of military service (the idea of him in bootcamp right now is shudder-inducing).

Apologies in advance if my post makes no sense: the whole house has been sick this week and I'm coming down with it.

Ugghh, mine has the fixation/obsession issues as well - they sound a lot alike.

My ds will slip out if anything gets in the way of his fishing, or talking about fishing, or thinking about fishing.:glare:

Mine *is* going to ps school - maybe as soon as next week. This is why I am stressing about it. I feel like putting him in school is one of the *worst* things for him, but we don't really have any other options. He can't stay home alone all the time (he won't do his work without someone sitting on top of him.)

Don't send him. Give him decompression time and maybe try unschooling with him. It may help.

I only say this because I have had to pull my children out the few times I tried. I guess my children just don't fit well with public schools.

When my oldest with ADHD would "flake out"(at age 12-13) I let the rope out on her and had her pick some general subject curriculum choices and she did them on her own time at her own pace. Then she went back to school at a public Aggie school(gr 9-11). Needless to say 3 1/2 yrs later she is graduating this month(cross fingers> pending grades from local college) from NARHS. I should NEVER have sent her back but she was out of control at home. I thought school would be better. It wasn't-> she just got more freedom to be out of control!

Don't send him. Give him decompression time and maybe try unschooling with him. It may help.

I only say this because I have had to pull my children out the few times I tried. I guess my children just don't fit well with public schools.

When my oldest with ADHD would "flake out"(at age 12-13) I let the rope out on her and had her pick some general subject curriculum choices and she did them on her own time at her own pace. Then she went back to school at a public Aggie school(gr 9-11). Needless to say 3 1/2 yrs later she is graduating this month(cross fingers> pending grades from local college) from NARHS. I should NEVER have sent her back but she was out of control at home. I thought school would be better. It wasn't-> she just got more freedom to be out of control!

I didn't see this until after I enrolled him. Unschooling is not an option because he will never pick up another book or pencil again. Even if he would, he has to go to school because I am going to work and staying home alone all day just isn't an option.

I am glad you found something to work for your dd, though!