Menu

DH is interested in spending some time in CO next Christmas, where to lodge?

We're not wanting to ski or do anything special, just be in the cold and snow and have fun as a family. :) Any suggestions? Where would be a good place? I got altitude sickness when I was younger while on vacation skiing, but that was closer to the continental divide, so I guess we should stay mid to southern CO just to be safe. What are we looking at cost-wise? BTW, dc's ages will be 11, 8, and 20 months at that time next year. Thanks for any help!

If you want a higher chance of snow, you'll have to be pretty high up--I live near Denver and I haven't seen more than an inch of snow at a time since May. Grand Lake is lovely and they have lots of condo/cabins.

Estes park--same. I have a friend who rents out her home in Evergreen to people (pretty pricey--but it has an incredible view)

I don't know much about Southern COLO sorry.

Lara

:iagree: We've seen lots of snow in the mountains, but then we stay at 9900 ft, just the other side of the Continental Divide. Going back tomorrow.

You could try some lower-altitude spots, something closer to 8000 ft. (I don't know - Aspen, Steamboat, Winter Park? or a smaller town, without a large ski area, like Silverton?) But if the weather's anything like this year, anyplace much lower you may not have the snow for Christmas. I'd make a list of possible destinations and check their altitudes. Also google to see if they have a good sledding spot ;)

My secret trick to altitude issues: Gatorade. Won't solve everything, but it helps with the hydration aspect. Also, consider using iron supplements in advance of your trip, if you tend to run on the low side.