Menu

MP's Intro to Classical Studies

shinyhappypeople

We have loved it! I had purchased D'Aulaire's Greek Myths when dd was in 1st, but had never worked it in. When I saw this program I thought it would be the perfect way to do so. I was slightly skeptical about the Golden Bible as I had never seen it. I personally prefer a children's Bible to stick closely to the stories and avoid commentary. I have been so pleased with this volume! It tries to maintain the beauty of the King James English, too. We are not sticklers for that translation, but it adds a richness to the language of the stories. The stories also are very accurately told...we've come across a few points that have made me go check my Bible to make sure...and it was there. So, I'm learning a lot, too. :) I've tweaked the last half of the readings from FMR because some of the readings were a little too much for us. For the most part, though, the reading is very manageable. There are four days of Bible and then one day each of Greek Myths and FMR each week. We haven't fully utilized the questions included in the guide, but I have thoroughly enjoyed having the memory work matched up with the lessons--the 10 plagues, the 7 kings of Rome, the 10 commandments, etc.

The format shown in the samples at MP is carried throughout, so it will give you a good idea of the program. As I said, we've really enjoyed it. I am very glad I added it in.

We have loved it! I had purchased D'Aulaire's Greek Myths when dd was in 1st, but had never worked it in. When I saw this program I thought it would be the perfect way to do so. I was slightly skeptical about the Golden Bible as I had never seen it. I personally prefer a children's Bible to stick closely to the stories and avoid commentary. I have been so pleased with this volume! It tries to maintain the beauty of the King James English, too. We are not sticklers for that translation, but it adds a richness to the language of the stories. The stories also are very accurately told...we've come across a few points that have made me go check my Bible to make sure...and it was there. So, I'm learning a lot, too. :) I've tweaked the last half of the readings from FMR because some of the readings were a little too much for us. For the most part, though, the reading is very manageable. There are four days of Bible and then one day each of Greek Myths and FMR each week. We haven't fully utilized the questions included in the guide, but I have thoroughly enjoyed having the memory work matched up with the lessons--the 10 plagues, the 7 kings of Rome, the 10 commandments, etc.

The format shown in the samples at MP is carried throughout, so it will give you a good idea of the program. As I said, we've really enjoyed it. I am very glad I added it in.

Do you have to be using Latin to use this Introductory Study most effectively? I just got a copy of it and she speaks of it being intergrated with Latin though I see no other indication of the necessity of Latin for this resource. Am I missing something?

We are studying Latin, but no...there has been no need to be studying it to use this study. MP's philosophy is Latin centered, so they create products with that philosophy in mind. I think the section you refer to was simply saying this product would enhance Latin studies, which they believe, along with math, should be a core subject. Because there is such an emphasis in the study of Rome through this guide, it would complement a Latin study well. However, we have come across nothing that needed an understanding in Latin to grasp or appreciate.

We are studying Latin, but no...there has been no need to be studying it to use this study. MP's philosophy is Latin centered, so they create products with that philosophy in mind. I think the section you refer to was simply saying this product would enhance Latin studies, which they believe, along with math, should be a core subject. Because there is such an emphasis in the study of Rome through this guide, it would complement a Latin study well. However, we have come across nothing that needed an understanding in Latin to grasp or appreciate.

Thanks! I have several of their resources, and my 2nd grader is doing the Prima Latina this year, but I don't think we'll continue with their other Latin programs, so just wanted to clarify if it was "required" or not.

Thanks again!