Menu

Ok, I'm getting ready to start reading reflex with my dc any tips?

After having SWR for almost a year without using it I decided to give reading reflex a try. It looks simple and easy and that is what I need! I'm going to start my ds6 first. He hasn't had any reading instruction yet. With all the struggles my dhats10 has had with reading I decided to wait to teach my ds6 until I thought he was ready. I'm thinking of using it for remediation with my dd11 and ds 10. What are your thoughts on this program? What kind of results can I expect?

Love, love, love Reading Reflex! It's all I ever used or needed to use to teach all 3 of my kids to read.

Do cut up all the little cards into envelopes ahead of time (I photocopied the pages and cut those up). The one place I ignored the book was to sit across from the child and to have the table be some sort of particular dimension :confused: - I always sat at the table at the same side as they did with the whiteboard.

I also didn't bother with RR's "stories" but used Bob books (I also hear good things about the Sam readers, but I didn't know about them at the time), and then other graded phonic readers from the library. More interesting. :)

But whatever we were reading, I always used the RR terminology of "sound pictures" and made sure to say things like "we say __ for this sound picture in this word", never "this letter says ___".

Reading Reflex is what finally clicked with my oldest. We used it when she was 7 and it is what really got her reading. We didn't finish the book but partway through reading finally clicked for her. It's been 6 years but I still remember storing all of the little letter cut outs in a bunch of different envelopes. They were ruined in one of our moves.

good luck! I looove RR. I think it is a great program. yes, to refering to letters as their sounds. That helps SO MUCH. I had all my little envelops and the white board and they were great.

We both read the stories in the back and used bob books.

With one child, I sat across the table. With the second, I didn't. I am not sure it made a difference.