Menu

Whoa. Baby gear- is some of it really worth it?

Who is expecting her first, I'm keeping recommendations to a minimum.

I slept with all my babies, but I did recommend a small co-sleeper or something for very early just until her and hubby get used to the waking up, etc. They have some now that actually fit ON your bed, and then she can have a guard rail on the side of bed too.

No swing with baby number one. Maybe with subsequent babies.

No bouncy seat, especially if you have a swing.

No playpen unless some type of travel bed is needed (and that little cosleeper serves as a travel bed).

What I plan to recommend for her is:

Top notch car seat (and I mean safety-wise; a must)

Awesome baby sling

Lightweight stroller if one is needed

Good cloth diaper stash (and I'm giving them)

Good breastfeeding info and support

cribs

strollers

car seats (infant kind)

play pens

swings

high chairs

We've received 2 cribs that were lightly used.

I've purchased many strollers over the years (most of them lightly used). This most recent child has ridden in one less than 5 times in her life.

Car seats can get ridiculous (so can strollers). I just buy one I really like and use it for several children.

I LOVE my play pen. (It's actually my 3rd 'cause I keep giving them away to friends/family after the child outgrows them.) I agree with the pp who said that sometimes you just need to give the baby a break from those loving siblings. My play pen also gives me 5 minutes to do dishes without having to stop every minute to grab something out of dd's mouth.

We never used swings or high chairs. Like a pp we've always just used the booster seats with the trays. I've found them easy to use, wash, and travel with -- we use them from the beginning -- as soon as baby can sit up.